New crossbow purchased advice please on scope/laser

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

Re: New crossbow purchased advice please on scope/laser

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I do tend to go for the pricey option!

For air rifles I would say that if you're only going to get one then get a springer or gas ram, PCPs are good and they're lovely to shoot but they need more looking after and more gear, you'll need an air pump or preferably a divers bottle to fill it, the pumps are ok but they're hard work and you're also compressing humid air and putting the air and all the moisture into your gun, won't break it instantly but won't help to prolong its life either.
With spring and gas ram guns all you need is the gun and some pellets.

In my opinion the two best springers available are the Weirauch HW97 (there might be a newer model but I don't know offhand) and the Air Arms TX200, both shoot lovely, (disclaimer, I haven't shot every springer on the market!)
I own a Weirauch HW97 KT like this https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-rifl ... kt?lang=en beautifully made, but both the Weirauch and the air arms have a couple of things that I don't like, the Air Arms has a small loading port that's over to one side, so you struggle to load it left handed, the Weirauch is HEAVY, and the safety is annoying, if you take it off then you have to cycle the cocking lever to put it back on again, I would like it to just click over.

Neither of those are cheap but they're cracking guns, I just prefer the Weirauch but both are more accurate than I will ever be and will put shot after shot through the same hole in a target in the hands of a competent shooter.

You want it to be below 12 ft/lbs power in order to keep it legal without a firearms license (as long as you're not in Scotland) and as close to that as possible.

For a cheaper option a mate of mine has a BSA Lightning SE, shoots lovely, a lot of shooters start with a BSA, I did too, I had an old Meteor.
Here's the lightning https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/bs ... ning-se-22

Which calibre is a debate that could go on a long time, .177 shoots like a laser beam and doesn't drop much inside sensible hunting ranges and is what I prefer, .22 has a bit more knockdown power but has a very loopy trajectory so you need to know your range or be able to estimate it pretty accurately.

I would argue that .177 is better for hunting as I consider shot placement to be more important than maximum knockdown power for a clean kill, and although it has less hitting power than the .22 it has plenty of power to do the job, I've never failed to kill a rabbit that I've hit cleanly with it.
That's just my opinion though and I pretty much guarantee someone will disagree. :)

For punching paper, get a .177, it's easier to shoot for the same reasons and power doesn't matter much.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

what Jamesy said ^^^, everything and more than I was going to say, more and better put than me too.

Im happy with my Webley Vulcan 22 springer and an cheap spanish Cometa 300 22 for roughing it. Though I would like to replace my spring with a gas ram. BSA and Webley are good quality and value second hand.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

shocker wrote:what Jamesy said ^^^, everything and more than I was going to say, more and better put than me too.

Im happy with my Webley Vulcan 22 springer and an cheap spanish Cometa 300 22 for roughing it. Though I would like to replace my spring with a gas ram. BSA and Webley are good quality and value second hand.
I forgot about Webley, yeah, they're nice too.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
kevprep85

Post by kevprep85 »

ive got the same crossbow and i use a acog scope. have a look on airsoft sites shuld be the same mounts and can handle the kick.

http://www.taiwangun.com/products/searc ... aign-id=14
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
defender130

New crossbow purchased advice please on scope/laser

Post by defender130 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
defender130 wrote:Will second what jamesey said

That scope looks like junk and fake

Try something like one of the hawke ones as suggested otherwise you will just be wasting money and buying twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It certainly looks dodgy, I had a BSA scope years ago, wasn't all that but it was reasonably well put together, that one looks thrown together from a parts bin and I'm not sure that BSA would put their name on it.

The bit that gives it away is the ebay scope uses the BSA motorcycles logo on it, the BSA guns logo is totally different as can be seen on your link above to sportsman gun centre as the pic on there website has the correct logo in top left corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I hadn't spotted that but you're right, 10/10 for observation. :)
kevprep85

Post by kevprep85 »

http://www.solware.co.uk/air-rifle-pellet-gun

this is a good site for air rifles.
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Covert

Post by Covert »

Update still havent decided on a scope , but have bought a Weihrauch hw97k seems to be a good gun so far

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Covert wrote:Update still havent decided on a scope , but have bought a Weihrauch hw97k seems to be a good gun so far

They do have a reputation of being as good as it gets springer wise, under lever is also reputed to be more accurate than break barrel, so a wise choice :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Covert wrote:Update still havent decided on a scope , but have bought a Weihrauch hw97k seems to be a good gun so far
Good choice, look after it and it'll last you a lifetime.
You'll get used to the weight! ;)