25 uses for a space blanket

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

25 uses for a space blanket

Post by jansman »

We all carry 'em in our various kits.I stumbled across this.May be of use to someone ( couple of ideas there I like)

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/survival-u ... -blankets/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
shocker

Re: 25 uses for a space blanket

Post by shocker »

Nice one mate. Mylar, gotta love it ! Its quite cheap to buy off the roll from ebay vendors of naughty horticultural products and Lidl/Aldi often do a Radiator Reflector Roll of mylar backed with flexible foamy stuff, very thin but very effective. Rolls tight enough to go on a bergan with a bedroll or in the car without wasting space.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I like the fish lure one, I've been using for them for years to make mackerel feathers! In fact I have some commercial ones that I'm pretty sure are Mylar too.

They missed off my favourite use for a space blanket though, cut a strip off and you have improvised sunglasses. :)

You're not going to pull while wearing them, but it's better than snow blindness, that really hurts.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

You are right mate, the fishing lures are mylar. Im a flytier myself, we use a lot of mylar as a tinsel on a spool and all kinds of ways. Many shop sold mackerel feathers are mylar, probably because they are not a durable as feather ones - the joeys teeth make mince of the shiney-shiney ;)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Fly tying is a bit beyond me, as is fly fishing to be honest, never got the hang of the casting, although I was a dab hand at catching trees and once (the last time I attempted it and probably the last that I ever will) my own ear!
I can sling a honking great bit of lead miles with a pendulum cast, but fly casting requires a degree of subtlety that I have never had as part of my technique...
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It was the lures that attracted me( ha ha).I do a LOT of pike fishing,and I often add mackerel feathers or artificial squid to my spoons and spinners.Summers coming and the mylar could be good for surface lures too.Explosive sport!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I haven't done much pike fishing, but I've caught a couple, magnificent fish really, perfectly adapted to what they do, go fishing for blue sharks if you ever get the chance, closest thing we get to big game fish in the UK, the odd tuna has been caught but they're a pretty rare occurrence, we do get other sharks but they're harder to catch and need much heavier gear, you can play a blue nicely on a 30lb class rod and reel.

They like shiny stuff too, Graeme Pullen makes up a string of old cds to dangle over the side and he's a man that knows shark fishing, in fact I caught my best ever blue by parking my boat in his chum stream in the Solent!
Bit cheeky but I did thank him over the radio. :)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Looe is home a Shark Fishing Club, one of the main UK ones I believe...thats the town I currently Plague with my domestic presence.

I am, or honestly, was, more of a Sea Trout angler. Time was that between may and september I was out most nights, some of the time because I was Keeper on a stretch of the river. Migratory salmonids are a reet bugger to catch as one needs to fish for them on moonless nights (as pitch black as possible) in heavily wooded (lots of cover) rivers...and fish the fly. All by touch, feel and intuition. Not for the fainthearted or short of patience as the flies are most often in a tree or, as Jamesey says, your ear. And you need to be a fly tyer as you lose so many flies it gets a tad expensive else. But Ive caught some huge ones...trees that is. Oh, and migratory trout and salmon dont feed in freshwater, just to make things easier.

Sadly my mobility problems have put a stop to all that malarky. Fly fishing is accessible to the disabled but after the proper wild stuff its too tame and just reminds me of what I cannot do any more, sad face. That and the decline of the runs of fish, angry face

On the bright side it did keep all the outdoor silent moving skills at peak, no lights, only the unvoidable use of torches with red filters to keep the rods and cones of the eye in dark mode, keeping a "night eye" closed if theres any lights showing from a passing vehicle or similar, spatial awareness and all that jazz. I try to keep it fresh in my mind but nothing beats boots (waders?) on the ground/riverbed.

Saltwater flyfishing is great fun....when you can find some fish ! The solent is brilliant for mullet and next to a bonefish in Cuba its the best sport on rod and line going. And theres less trees to catch...yuge or otherwise !
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I haven't done much pike fishing, but I've caught a couple, magnificent fish really, perfectly adapted to what they do, go fishing for blue sharks if you ever get the chance, closest thing we get to big game fish in the UK, the odd tuna has been caught but they're a pretty rare occurrence, we do get other sharks but they're harder to catch and need much heavier gear, you can play a blue nicely on a 30lb class rod and reel.

They like shiny stuff too, Graeme Pullen makes up a string of old cds to dangle over the side and he's a man that knows shark fishing, in fact I caught my best ever blue by parking my boat in his chum stream in the Solent!
Bit cheeky but I did thank him over the radio. :)
My late Father and I went shark fishing in 1981 off Mevagissey.We caught 2.They were both about 6' apiece as I remember.Wish he was here to see the kind of fishing we do today,it is better than its ever been.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I made a huge blanket from black cotton material, inside which I put mylar from two of those pound shop tube tents, it took me ages, it's two full widths of whatever material comes in and about three meters the other way, it needs edging really lo look professional, but it's stronger than the mylar alone and does not scream "here I am" anymore ;)

I'll be stocking up on the stuff again now I've seen all these other uses, not like it's heavy or takes up much space :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.