Geiger counters

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Re: Geiger counters

Post by sniper 55 »

Personally I'm not sure theres a lot of point in knowing how high the radiation level is. In the event of something big happening we'd be pretty much kippered anyway in the long term. NBC suits and masks are handy but they only last so long, you need a supply of indate replacements and the means to decontaminate yourself between changes (not as easy as it sounds to do properly) .
The Mask/suit is probably more use in a dirty bomb situation, but thats going to happen in a city (probably) and not only are you going to single yourself out walking around with a mask on but in the panic people might even try and take it off you.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I'm quite close (in fallout terms) to Sizewell B on the East coast so it falls within my prep category of something to "keep an eye on"

I tend to watch out for anything potentially nuclear accident related across Europe and if a series of Geiger counters start going off one after another in those countries, then my ears prick up. Not sure im quite ready to invest in my own Geiger counter though. :?:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
unsure

Post by unsure »

nbc suits , masks and spare filters . got those . i`m stuck between two major cities . so could be worth having one in . at what point would you know when top open the box and pull them on if you didn`t know how bad it was . as for others trying to take a mask off you . thats all ways a risk , same goes for any thing else that they might want or need .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
unsure

Post by unsure »

Arwen Thebard wrote:I'm quite close (in fallout terms) to Sizewell B on the East coast so it falls within my prep category of something to "keep an eye on"

I tend to watch out for anything potentially nuclear accident related across Europe and if a series of Geiger counters start going off one after another in those countries, then my ears prick up. Not sure im quite ready to invest in my own Geiger counter though. :?:
could be worth looking into dosemeters . cheap enough but again i`m not sure what they pick up as to what could be in the air .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

I did pick myself up a gieger counter from a well known chinese store for 80 GBP. Is pretty good and I have tested it with some beta emitters just to check if actually detects what it should.

Mainly I purchased it for scientific curiosity rather than in the case of nuclear fallout.
Appin

Post by Appin »

Geiger counters are an odd issue. I do include them in my preps as I believe you can do things to help if something happens.

http://www.anythingradioactive.com/geig ... lus-geiger

This one is sitting on my desk now. I use it to generate random numbers ( don't ask!) but I get a continous readout and can look it up on the internet from work.

Regards

Appin
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I love that "anything radioactive" site! Nuclear novelties! That's brilliant :mrgreen:

And ... you use your geiger counter to generate random numbers ... you use those numbers for the lottery, don't you :mrgreen: :lol:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Arzosah wrote:I love that "anything radioactive" site! Nuclear novelties! That's brilliant :mrgreen:

And ... you use your geiger counter to generate random numbers ... you use those numbers for the lottery, don't you :mrgreen: :lol:
One of my prized possessions is a 'glow in the dark' keyring from the Sellafield gift shop. :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Appin

Post by Appin »

Random numbers can be used to create very secure passwords.

Computer based random number generators simply aren't random radioactivity is random so the passwords are secure.

Appin
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Brambles wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I love that "anything radioactive" site! Nuclear novelties! That's brilliant :mrgreen:

One of my prized possessions is a 'glow in the dark' keyring from the Sellafield gift shop. :lol: :lol:
Do they do cats? ;)