Portable charger for phone

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Portable charger for phone

Post by jansman »

Back in January I finally made up a GHB for the car. As January is birthday time for me, and being difficult to buy for, I suggested a portable charger.

Back last Autumn, I had a van breakdown on me in the middle of nowhere. I have an i phone for what it's worth ( I think it is a 5,I always have Wifeys hand me downs), and I was making numerous calls,texts and using GPS to find my location etc. It brought the battery down to a&se twitching level! I decided then I needed an emergency charger.

So eldest daughter got me an Anker PowerCore 20100.What a great bit of kit!It is alleged to have,at full capacity, enough juice to charge 7 devices before recharging. It does just that. Thoroughly recommended.

They are available on Amazon for about 28 quid, but of course there are other vendors!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Re: Portable charger for phone

Post by Brambles »

Glad you like it. I have a couple of Aukey 20000 battery banks. I took one to Silverstone last year and I can't fault it. I had light, charged my phone, Kindle and my tablet. I was so impressed, I got the Brambling one as well. I've also got a smaller one to keep in my bag.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Looks good - I am tempted.
how long does it hold its charge for - is this a 'charge it every weekend' job?
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
jansman

Post by jansman »

jaffab wrote:Looks good - I am tempted.
how long does it hold its charge for - is this a 'charge it every weekend' job?
No.It does have to be used/discharged every three months though! It holds a good strong charge.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

I bought 3 of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology- ... y+22400mAh

From Amazon when they were on special for about £12 each they charge my LG G3 from dead about 6 times.

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I've got several of these hanging around. My pocket carry bow has an 8ah battery, bulky but I never go without power. My bag has a 20ah one inside. Even after three months they hold a lot of charge.

Word of warning though... Sometimes if you come to need to they start acting temperamental. No idea why. Restart phones and push buttons on battery till it works. I think they have detection sensors inside which sometimes fail.

Urban Preppers did a video on powering gadgets. I've got the ampere app he uses and find it very handy.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Catswhiskers

Re: Aukey charger / Lidl charger

Post by Catswhiskers »

Can anyone tell me if the 20100 serves an iPad air2? I bought a charger at the weekend only to find it fit my iPhone 6splus but doesn't want to match up with iPad and I'm afraid to force it. By the way Lidl getting Iphone/ iPad etc chargers from March 2 nod for £7.99 but they are just booster types, not heavy duty banks.
Deeps

Re: Aukey charger / Lidl charger

Post by Deeps »

Catswhiskers wrote:Can anyone tell me if the 20100 serves an iPad air2? I bought a charger at the weekend only to find it fit my iPhone 6splus but doesn't want to match up with iPad and I'm afraid to force it. By the way Lidl getting Iphone/ iPad etc chargers from March 2 nod for £7.99 but they are just booster types, not heavy duty banks.
Not an apple person but you maybe find the Ipad needs more of a 'draw' than the charger can provide. There are more knowledgeable people than me on here but I think some of the tablets need up to 5 amps and a lot of the power banks deliver 1 or 2 amps. Hope you get more info from better qualified people.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

iPad will draw 2 amps if it can, whereas a normal iPhone will draw 1 amp, that's why the adaptor you get with an iPad is bigger, says 2.5 amp on mine but it will charge off an iPhone charger, it'll just do it slowly, I have an air 2 as well, charges off my anker power bank nicely and still charges (slowly) from my cheapo power banks.
I don't know about the iPhone six plus but that may draw more power than the normal iPhones as it's bigger.
Cable should be the same, if it won't fit in your iPad and others will then the cable isn't to spec and you should return it, get an air duster and blow the dust and fluff out of the lightning connector first though, they can collect fluff which makes the connection tight, don't poke anything in there to clean it as the pins are very delicate, in fact my local Apple Store had to give me a new iPhone after they broke the pins in mine.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The Anker charges our old I pad OK and our apple phones,and my kindle too. As for newer stuff,I don't know.

Robert Frost.

Me.