Portable charger for phone

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

Re: Portable charger for phone

Post by dangerman »

The Aukey provides 2.1amps of charge and gives my iPad mini a couple of charges. I'm 99% certain the Anker one does too. I'm also 90% sure that pretty much any 20000mah (or less) battery will support an iPads 2.1a draw. The iPhone is pretty much the only phone on the market that still requires a very strict, consistent and specific amperage.

Lesson to be learned? Don't buy an iPhone if you're a prepper. Apple is a company that want you totally dependent on them, whereas sensible people choose to be independent.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Catswhiskers

Post by Catswhiskers »

Thank you. I will se if an old android might take my sim in an emergency. ☹️
shocker

Post by shocker »

Apple - they are so keen to help that they have their own patented screwhead on the fixings of their products. And they will not supply the screwdrivers to anyone. Pirate ones appear but the vendors are vigorously pursued and prosecuted.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:Apple - they are so keen to help that they have their own patented screwhead on the fixings of their products. And they will not supply the screwdrivers to anyone. Pirate ones appear but the vendors are vigorously pursued and prosecuted.
Nice to know that thanks, that's a big minus for me if I ever want a smart phone or anything apple for that matter :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

I've a 12V socket to USB(s) in the car- I find it useful for general in-car charging and, short of battery issues, there's going to be plenty of juice in a car battery to top up a smartphone to make a few calls.

Also in the glovebox is a small powerbank I got free from Screwfix for those times I need to charge away from the car.

I suppose I could supplement everything with the USB solar panel I got off eBay last year, but in all honesty, it's not worth the hassle for weather dependent phone charging.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

tarmactatt wrote:I've a 12V socket to USB(s) in the car- I find it useful for general in-car charging and, short of battery issues, there's going to be plenty of juice in a car battery to top up a smartphone to make a few calls.

Also in the glovebox is a small powerbank I got free from Screwfix for those times I need to charge away from the car.

I suppose I could supplement everything with the USB solar panel I got off eBay last year, but in all honesty, it's not worth the hassle for weather dependent phone charging.
I've done it purely to 'prove the system' from time to time with my portable panel. On a sunny day its surprising how quickly you can put a good charge into small devices like phones (or power banks). As you say very weather dependent but its good to have options.