Recommendation for wicking scarf and work gloves?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sethorly

Recommendation for wicking scarf and work gloves?

Post by sethorly »

Hi guys, I've loved my shemagh over the winter right up until I started doing longer walks which made me sweat. The shemagh gets soaked in sweat. Has anyone got a recommendation for a scarf or shemagh-type item which wicks well and is comfortable next to skin?

Secondly, I'm after some work gloves for processing wood outdoors. Toughness and dexterity matter more for me than thermal qualities, and wicking qualities would be a bonus. Any recommendations please?
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Re: Recommendation for wicking scarf and work gloves?

Post by Deeps »

Don't know if its what you're looking for but I usually have a micro fibre towel either hanging from my rucksack or round my neck. It does eventually get soaked with sweat but that's why I have it. I can live with be sweaty but I ain't so keen on it running into my eyes etc hence the towel. If you're doing physical activity then there's a good chance you'll sweat, I sweat like a marine in a spelling test anyway (sorry Jansman ;) ) so expect it.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Not much help but I've always stripped off stuff as I got warm working, ideally you don't want your clothes getting wet at all if possible (unless it's warm) seen me up the top of mountains in sub zero with just a teeshirt (and trousers :) ) and as long as I was moving fast I was warm enough, the danger is when you stop. Thats when you need warm dry kit.
Just a thought but how about a spare shemagh or two, just swop them over as they get wet. Like Deeps I keep one of those camping towlels in my kit, don't use it as a scarf though, I prefere headover thingies.
The towel around the neck was a popular Navy trick at one time, I remember being told about it by the lookouts on a submarine I was on once.
The other Navy trick I got was wearing speedos under my combats because they dry really fast if they get wet, that tip was from a canoe driver (SBS).
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Thanks guys. As I've finished having children and been snipped, I might consider those Speedos... :)
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

For something to wear around your neck I would recommend a buff.

https://www.buffwear.co.uk/

Very versatile comfy and warm. Can be used as a scarf,hat.

HTH.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

I prefer a wide scarf with a somewhat loose weave. I have several that are fairly wide and long, so they can be wrapped around the face and head and loosened or tightened up as required. I combine that with a simple watch cap 99% of the time and I'm toasty enough here in the Eastern US even on the worst days. I work outside, so I am exposed to some fairly good weather extremes some days.
Can't help you on what to wear while doing the wood processing; I do my splitting and stacking in the summer and fall, and in winter I burn the stuff.
As for work gloves, I've found nothing commercially available that stands up to hard repeated use; everything wears out sooner or later, and that includes splitting and hauling wood. My only solution is to have multiple sets of gloves available if I blow one or two out over a short period of time
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I've seen mechanics gloves recommended for grip and dexterity. There are some which have a thinsulate layer which might help with wicking.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Mr spyder

Post by Mr spyder »

Slightly random but Ali express do kev largely gloves cut and knife resistance may work for you