invertor advice

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
izzy_mack

invertor advice

Post by izzy_mack »

I need to buy a new invertor . Bought one from lidls a while ago but gave it to someone who needed it more than I did, they haven't had any in store since so time to find another. any tips on where to find a cheap one? Also how do you decide what size you need, it may be worth my while buying a more powerful one than I had but not sure. I do have a generator but don't want to run it all the time, so would use this to run small things when it's off or to run things where the gennie won't reach. thanks.
shocker

Re: invertor advice

Post by shocker »

I have found that the power claims for these are wildly optimistic - like speakers quoting the peak power rather than the RMS value. So, I consider these devices able to deliver a quarter of the stated power for any use over a few minutes. Cooling is a big issue to getting the best out of them too so you may want to consider extra fans especially if its enclosed.

If you want to run laptops/TV off them then a FULL sinewave output is best.

As to where to buy them, I dont really know whats best. What I do is go to a caravanning shop or forum and find out what they advise, then go look for the one suggested on fleabay etc. Maplins may be a good bet.

Anyone else ?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

keep away from Maplins expensive.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
shocker

Post by shocker »

So NOT maplins then ! Anyone know where it IS good to buy one ?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just beware a 1000w sine wave will draw 40a when loaded with a KW or so from a battery so in a hour that's a 80ah battery technically flat....
Going by a 50% DOD (Depth of Discharge)

I have tried to get most things to run on 12v directly rather than step up from 12v to 230v to step down to say 5v for a USB phone charger for example = less loss = much longer battery life

dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Do what that bloke says.

I've bought some cheap Chinese ones from eBay, one didn't work at all and the other one didn't work for very well or for very long.

For laptops and phones and things, though, there are direct 12v adaptors that work fine. I'd go for them if they're justifiable.

Just realised actually, the laptop I have the 12v adaptor for got destroyed a few months ago. :(

Anyone need a MacBook car charger?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

thanks guys, reckon the short answer is i need to find a little more funds from the pot and buy bigger and better quality. one of those times when spending more saves more. didn't think I understood the techie stuff yorkshire Andy, then I reread and concentrated and I did!! Must be learning more from reading this forum than I realised :D
Appin

Post by Appin »

On a more general note there is a book called "Emergency Power for Radio Communications" by Michael Bryce and American Radio Ham. It is available from the Radio Society of Great Britain Website.

If you are looking at your power plans it is a very good study of what works and the various possible ways to keep power going off grid. Good even for the non ham prepper.

Probably a bit more than most would want but he covers when inverters are useful and the battery bank you need to back them up.

Regards

Appin
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

izzy_mack wrote:thanks guys, reckon the short answer is i need to find a little more funds from the pot and buy bigger and better quality. one of those times when spending more saves more. didn't think I understood the techie stuff yorkshire Andy, then I reread and concentrated and I did!! Must be learning more from reading this forum than I realised :D

Sorry I tried to keep it simple :oops:

For others:

A leisure battery (caravan or boat battery) come in a couple of "standard sizes" in terms of capacity

85ah. And 110ah. ( imagine a bucket and a bigger bucket)

Now to avoid damaging the battery it should never be more than 1/2 emptied. (Think of it been a folding bucket) let water out it collapses

Also known as 50% dod

(Basically over emptying damages the battery internals so it won't fully charge again)

Current draw is the speed you empty your bucket

Drill a small hole in the bottom water trickles out slowly = long run time till the bucket is half empty

Drill a ruddy great hole water drops quickly

So say a Metre of 12v led strip draws about 1amp per hour

Think of amp hours as water

Your battery has a 100litre capacity

Your led light has a 1 litre drain per hour

= you get 50 hours of use able time

But your "hair drier" uses 50 litres per hour giving you 1 hour of use time...... Till the battery is drained

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... batteries/

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-an ... batteries/

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... w24fLCIeTQ

http://batteryuniversity.com