reliable Wifi in a caravan

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Rykard

reliable Wifi in a caravan

Post by Rykard »

Hi,
apologies if this is the wrong forum.. if it is can the thread be moved please?

I've got a mate who's just moved into a caravan. He is after a way to get cheap reliable wifi. There is no cable he can hook into.

I thought about using his phone as a hotspot, but that will kill his data usage.

any other ideas?

cheers
Rich
poppypiesdad

Re: reliable Wifi in a caravan

Post by poppypiesdad »

First you need to find out his post code and find a network that can give him 3g or 4g . Then work out how much data he needs then either find out if he can teather to his phone or if he needs a dongle basically a pluggy in usb drive with a s card in it then connect to that with his items.

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
raz

Post by raz »

for a caravan u could always go the satellite broadband route.. same packages available as normal broadband only differance is u have a dish instead of cables. good in remote areas too i think i was getting 20mb in the middle of the highlands 3 yrs ago so should be faster now :)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'd recommend the 4g route too. When we first moved I got a 4g sim and used my phone as a 'router' and connected the computers to it. To get the best use of data use a usb cable to connect devices, worked really well.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Would go thru the tethering route, I had been using threes "one plan" for the last few years which gave unlimited data and tethering and ran the lappy , tablet, kindle etc all thru it , even played netflix well, ......

They dont have that now but most providers are now offering more and more data/tethering.... I think three now do a 30gb a month plan with tethering for £18pm ( higher if you only want a one month rolling contract)

Watch out for some tho , giffgaff being one that throttle you on unlimited plans , used them for a month and cut my speed to dialup after 6gb

This may help http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hukd-si ... rs-2481975
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine