Methylated Spirits or IPA?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Davey

Post by Davey »

This is a question that I've been wondering about for a while now, in general.
I recently brought a couple of water tight spray bottles to be able to hold some flammable liquid inside of. I'll be using these for assistance with starting a fire (give it a spray or two) when it's hard to start one.

I already have wax cotton rounds, cotton balls in petroleum jelly, fat wood, etc, and they work fine for me. But I'm thinking about what if I can't get a fire started with those or I run out?

So I'm just curious, what would be better to fill spray bottles with for help with fire starting?
Methylated Spirits or 99% IPA?
Plymtom

Re: Methylated Spirits or IPA?

Post by Plymtom »

I wouldn't go there :o
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Reminds me of my mum. She makes a bonfire out of leaves and pours petrol on the already lit fire because she's impatient....

What could possibly go wrong?!
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Davey

Post by Davey »

sethorly wrote:Reminds me of my mum. She makes a bonfire out of leaves and pours petrol on the already lit fire because she's impatient....

I meant for starting it :P
defender130

Post by defender130 »

Red diesel or normal expensive white if your feeling extravagant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by defender130 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

sethorly wrote:Reminds me of my mum. She makes a bonfire out of leaves and pours petrol on the already lit fire because she's impatient....

Think our parents must be related! haha my father does the same.

Would a high spirit alcohol not do the same trick, plus you have the advantage of a wee nip to 'keep spirits up'

If you take a spray deodorant with you can't you just use that with a lighter? Done it a couple of times.

On a serious note though I keep an alcohol based hand sanitiser in my kit. dual use, can keep hands clean & start fire with it.

I always try to get kit that has several uses to keep weight and space down.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Davey

Post by Davey »

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about popping a squirt or two on a bit of tinder then lighting that to get a fire going.
defender130

Post by defender130 »

I normally use diesel on a ready lit fire that needs encouragement as it really needs something to burn on and a flame

A fire lighter and a pan full of petrol from a distance also works and doing it from a pan means any flame travelling back doesn't reach an enclosed container and go boom

If you can find one made from suitable plastic I would think diesel in a garden or plant mister type of spray thing would work fine and tinder or a cotton bud soaked in diesel should start a fire quite nicely

Davey

Post by Davey »

defender130 wrote:I normally use diesel on a ready lit fire that needs encouragement as it really needs something to burn on and a flame

A fire lighter and a pan full of petrol from a distance also works and doing it from a pan means any flame travelling back doesn't reach an enclosed container and go boom

If you can find one made from suitable plastic I would think diesel in a garden or plant mister type of spray thing would work fine and tinder or a cotton bud soaked in diesel should start a fire quite nicely

I don't think you can light diesel with a ferro rod though (maybe when it's vaporized, but you'd need 3/4 hands for that).
I'd be using it for assisting with initially starting the fire.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

Ah Now then,

The India Pale Ale: the world's undisputed favourite craft beer style. The IPA is known for being stronger and more bitter than its cousin--the pale ale--and was pioneered in England in the early 19th century. This style is championed in its traditional form by many breweries throughout the UK. The American version is a bigger bolder sort and is noted for its grapefruity, piney, and citrusy flavours from the American hop varieties.

The IPA is exceptionally well-suited for experimentation so breweries around the world just love to tinker with it: Belgian-style, imperial, black, rye, hops, hops, hops, and more hops! So, whether it's a traditional English IPA from the likes of Thornbridge and Ilkley, an American hop-bomb from Founders, or an Imperial IPA from the Danish breweries of ToØl and Mikkeller--there are just so many reasons to love the India Pale Ale.

So Yup IPA gets my vote Citizen "H"
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"