Tea light lanterns

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Tea light lanterns

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

2 for £5 in lidl from today

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... 9196&ar=10

Not the best made but look rather nice and Christmas preppy in plain sight take standard tea lights and much safer than standing tea lights in a saucer or on a tile if the power goes off. ...
IMG_20161124_204930523.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Tea light lanterns

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh and 200 tea lights

http://www.diy.com/departments/unscente ... 878_BQ.prd

£6

I know candles are not the safest lighting but with care and decent holders they aren't too bad....

Those with lithium powered electronics or torches Google lipo battery fire ;)

they give a nice warm comforting light and a little bit of warmth. Seems to be some arguments on line as to the heat from a tea light between 20w up to 80w per wick

Regardless I was ordered back to lidl for more lantern's so I now have 6 of them :D as apparently 4 wasn't enough and she wanted 5 to make an odd number :s

So I got me a green one
IMG_20161124_224317139.jpg

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

My missus brought me back a couple of light blue ones from Ikea a few months back that look exactly the same, they were reduced to 75p each so I was a bit miffed that she didn't bring back 10 but I hid it and was grateful for the 2 'freebies'. I've got about half a dozen that size and 3 or 4 larger ones for, you've guessed it, bigger candles. You don't get uch of a light off the tealight ones but better (and safer) than not having them.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Ikea do the best tealights as well. They always burn well and for a reliable amount of time. We have a decorative 8-tealight holder and when they are lit together they will go out within a couple of minutes of each other about 4hrs later
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

whenfires wrote:Ikea do the best tealights as well. They always burn well and for a reliable amount of time. We have a decorative 8-tealight holder and when they are lit together they will go out within a couple of minutes of each other about 4hrs later
I've got a fair stash of Ikea candles of different sizes, they seem to be the cheapest although if anyone else knows where to get them cheaper I'm all ears. :D
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

They are a bugger when the glass breaks. Does anyone know of a candle-flame-and-wax safe type of plastic that can be used to replace the glass in these things ?
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Quill

Post by Quill »

Picked two of these up today after seeing this thread. Like Andy said quite flimsy, but a very "covert" prep for households where the P word = nutters.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Quill wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:51 pm Picked two of these up today after seeing this thread. Like Andy said quite flimsy, but a very "covert" prep for households where the P word = nutters.
Good drills, thinking outside the box. We're all in different situations and if you need to be discreet then that's it, you need to be discreet. As you say, they can be a decorative (romantic if you're lucky ;) ) way to prep. It gives you an excuse to keep plenty spare candles, especially if you're lucky on the 'romance' side of things. :lol:

The lanterns are handy if you have kids or pets about, they contain the naked flames in the event of a 'spillage'. I've not tried it yet but I've a mind to put tin foil behind half of the windows to reflect any light out into the room. I tried using them once (I'm married, no need for the sexy lighting :lol: ) and they're not that great. Better than nothing though by miles, candles don't exactly go off either so they're handy for long term problems. Short term I've got electrical alternatives which will keep things more 'normal'.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Deeps wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 pm Good drills, thinking outside the box. We're all in different situations and if you need to be discreet then that's it, you need to be discreet. As you say, they can be a decorative (romantic if you're lucky ;) ) way to prep. It gives you an excuse to keep plenty spare candles, especially if you're lucky on the 'romance' side of things. :lol:

The lanterns are handy if you have kids or pets about, they contain the naked flames in the event of a 'spillage'. I've not tried it yet but I've a mind to put tin foil behind half of the windows to reflect any light out into the room. I tried using them once (I'm married, no need for the sexy lighting :lol: ) and they're not that great. Better than nothing though by miles, candles don't exactly go off either so they're handy for long term problems. Short term I've got electrical alternatives which will keep things more 'normal'.
Fortunately, the possibility of a No-deal brexit and all the media hype is serving as a very good prepping excuse. Just every so often "Maybe we should get some stuff in, in case the news is right".

And yeah, we have a very hyper spaniel that has a death wish so open flames are just asking for trouble.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got all sorts but Mrs Andy is a bit of a tech luddite and not a fan of gas or petrol ;)

I've got this bad boy for example
718ovPdDD1L._SL1500_.jpg
But an initial cut we will go candles as a terrace street "it's what people do"

I've got a pile of battery alternatives but candles give a nice warm light and is rather relaxing over the cold blue led lights