winter sleeping bag recommendations

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dazthechippy

winter sleeping bag recommendations

Post by dazthechippy »

Hi Folks, following successful completion of joining 2 sleeping mats together i then thought about a winter sleeping bag for the car as a real just in case.

does anyone have a view on what's a good bag for this country in winter? - seen a few uk and us army issue ones on a well know auction site, arctic sleeping bags are not cheap but wondering if anyone has thoughts/recommendations/experience with them, cant say im mad on having an issued one that someone else has been festering in !!!!

not got any experience of civvy ones, expect they're more lightweight and more expensive....

this is for car use only so weight is not an issue really and may be teamed up with my sleeping mat efforts if i need to kip on the floor at home, as always your views are valued, cheers
pseudonym

Re: winter sleeping bag recommendations

Post by pseudonym »

I have used all 3

Army Arctic bag -15c

Carinthia Defence 4 -10c

Snugpack Softie 12 -5c

Rated in that order due to temp I felt most comfortable in.

All second hand, washed and good to go. Didn't pay over £30 for any bag.

I now use down quilts and hammock. :)

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

thanks Pseudonym, perfect !
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If you want crazy warm look at the snugpack chrysalys 5

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Snugpak_Chry ... oCUefw_wcB

Watch the sizing of the army bags they are on the short arse side
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

DD hammocks jura 2 sleeping bag , very very warm even in winter last year but was in combination with a dd under quilt.
Toasty warm

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Depends what you want to use it for and how much money you have in disposal. Have you contacted any army surplus companies?
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

Hi Nick, had a look about, think I'm going to go for the army artic bag, seen a few on the auction site everyone uses, they seem pretty robust and i like the mesh pockets for stashing stuff inside.

Yorkshire Andy seems right, I'm only short but think the medium ones would be too small so going to go for large version, more snuggle room for me !

cheers all.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Aaaargh...
I'm probably too late to the game, but I've had great success with a bag inside a bag. Namely, two 2-3 season bags. cheap and perfect if size not an issue.

My somewhat ridiculous mid winter bag (when I was daft enough to do it) comprised of a standard foam mat and self inflating mat, both inside a season 1 kids bag. that formed my mattress. My mattress went into a standard 3 season 80cm bag. I'd sleep inside that bag atop the mattress. The entire lot went into a 2 season 100cm bag.
I'd sleep naked in that lot in the middle of the harshest winters and never be cold.

80cm and 100cm obviously bag w not l!
I ain't warwick davis.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Ive never yet bought a surpluss bag must be the only surpluss item i dont have, although a british army bivi bag is on my christmas list ;)
Anyway i have 2x Trakker 'big snooze' bags i bought one new when i used to fish and its never let me down even when ive woken up with ice on the inside of my buvvy and i found a 2nd one with a broken zip at a booty that is my main up the woods bag. I do wear thermals when sleeping in the winter with it. Some of the carp fishing gear is nice if you can get it 2nd hand. But if i hadnt had one of these id have looked at military mart. (Other surpluss suppliers are available. I just like this on)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.