Water bottle question

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Bulldog

Water bottle question

Post by Bulldog »

Im after some advice please , i always go for a camp out between Christmas and New Year and i feel this year there's a danger my water might freeze in my 58 pattern plastic waterbottles.
I have 4 metal waterbottles which can be placed near a fire to thaw if it gets really cold, but im wondering the best way to keep water unfroze in plastic bottles, all the time im walking it wont freeze but the long cold winter nights might cause problems.
Any tips / advice ?
scoobie

Re: Water bottle question

Post by scoobie »

Thermos flasks! Seriously! Keep stuff hot or cold for 8-12 hours depending on which one you get... they make some more robust flasks too...
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

If it's watertight and won't leak, can't you stick it in your sleeping bag with you? Fill with warm water so that it acts as a heater, maybe? Fill with warm water and wrap in a bit of emergency blanket? Or a flask?

Just a thought. I have never camped in the winter so I don't know what I'm talking about really!
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

smileyt wrote:If it's watertight and won't leak, can't you stick it in your sleeping bag with you? Fill with warm water so that it acts as a heater, maybe? Fill with warm water and wrap in a bit of emergency blanket? Or a flask?

Just a thought. I have never camped in the winter so I don't know what I'm talking about really!
I like that idea, im sure my body heat in the bag will stop them freezeing :D

The flasks are a good idea but id sooner keep my water bottles if posible .
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Northern Raider wrote:
Bulldog wrote:Im after some advice please , i always go for a camp out between Christmas and New Year and i feel this year there's a danger my water might freeze in my 58 pattern plastic waterbottles.
I have 4 metal waterbottles which can be placed near a fire to thaw if it gets really cold, but im wondering the best way to keep water unfroze in plastic bottles, all the time im walking it wont freeze but the long cold winter nights might cause problems.
Any tips / advice ?
You only 3/4 fill plastic 58 pattern bottles, but if it does freeze you stand it in its metal cup and warm it over a fire, the metal 58 mug stopping the bottle from melting.
Great advice, cheers mate.
janso

Post by janso »

De-icer works for me!!! :lol: :lol: :roll:

Whilst walking, have a small bottle inside your layers - body heat stops it freezing. You could buy a water bladder, the water is kept close to the body whilst in your daysack and does help to stop it freezing into a block. I've always found water freezes in bottles regardless of type - you sure get a kick when you have a slurp with ice floating inside it!!

A small runners water bottle is just the right size for a coat pocket ;)
scoobie

Water bottle question

Post by scoobie »

I've got a camelback which I use snowboarding, the problem is the water freezes inside the tube and mouthpiece, which is really annoying!!
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
janso

Post by janso »

Get a thermal insulator for your camelback mate, works very well!!Basically a tube cover made of neoprene. Most outdoor shops sell them, while youre there, look at a mouth piece cover to limit any freezing in the..... mouthpiece. Camelbacks issued to desert troops have them in a sand colour, works the same in the heat, stopping the water in the pipe being too hot