Knives - Carrying / Issues

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
gamekeeper752

Re: Knives - Carrying / Issues

Post by gamekeeper752 »

hi Deeps
I think as with most laws which are hastily written or changed without the usual think tank ie a knee jerk reaction to stop inner city crime and panic legistation it is actually hitting the most law abiding citizens the hardest and due to a seriously failing system the great unwashed are laughing all the way to the bank.
most Police officers will chat first arrest later they might seize the blade if they are not sure but Swiss army and multi tool types are generally not a problem . just remember time and location and need to carry.
unfortunately due to fear of being branded racist, there has been a dramatic fall in stop search and a corresponding rise in bladed and firearms deaths and serious injury and the age that the little loves are carrying and using weapons has gone down too

as a child i was told to have on me a length of string a coin to phone home and a pen knife and i still do 50 odd years later
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

before i bought my leatherman for everyday use (gardener by trade) i contacted the local plod as the blade was locking
my reply was dont take it to a football match or to the pub and never wave it about in public.
stick to that and you'll be fine. common sense really :D
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

gamekeeper752 wrote: as a child i was told to have on me a length of string a coin to phone home and a pen knife and i still do 50 odd years later
Me too..... Only its now a hank of paracord and a big note in a pill-fob. Still got the penknife, although it now has an MT to keep it company ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

gamekeeper752 wrote:hi Deeps
I think as with most laws which are hastily written or changed without the usual think tank ie a knee jerk reaction to stop inner city crime and panic legistation it is actually hitting the most law abiding citizens the hardest and due to a seriously failing system the great unwashed are laughing all the way to the bank.
most Police officers will chat first arrest later they might seize the blade if they are not sure but Swiss army and multi tool types are generally not a problem . just remember time and location and need to carry.
unfortunately due to fear of being branded racist, there has been a dramatic fall in stop search and a corresponding rise in bladed and firearms deaths and serious injury and the age that the little loves are carrying and using weapons has gone down too

as a child i was told to have on me a length of string a coin to phone home and a pen knife and i still do 50 odd years later
Thanks for getting back to me mate, appreciate it. I'm another one that has a length of cord amongst plenty other crap on me when I leave the house. Its the time and location angle that concerns me most, the "don't take it to the football" isn't always practical for me, while there are times that I could leave the SAK in the car there are times when I'll be getting the train so nowhere other than a pocket to keep it in. My concern is that it might get confiscated or refused entry rather than me getting thrown in the pokey and as much as anything I hate that football fans are treated 'differently'. I've not had an issue in fairness but it is something that concerns me.
woodsman1 wrote:before i bought my leatherman for everyday use (gardener by trade) i contacted the local plod as the blade was locking
my reply was dont take it to a football match or to the pub and never wave it about in public.
stick to that and you'll be fine. common sense really :D
As I've said above, football seems to be treated completely differently to any other sports/entertainment, I get why historically maybe and for a lock knife which you would need to have a justification for carrying anywhere but for a sub 3" legal carry knife it does rankle that football grounds are such an issue.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

hi deeps
i would be interested to know if you've actually been searched for a weapon on route to a league or cup game or at the gate
the general thinking is why would you need a knife at a footy game, clearly to stab someone, LOL and there's the problem. All of us are victims of the minority changing things for the majority, my personal gripe is firearms law which is a whole other subject
the bottom line is as said common sense and if necessary a day in court to prove the system is broken and shite
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

gamekeeper752 wrote:hi deeps
i would be interested to know if you've actually been searched for a weapon on route to a league or cup game or at the gate
the general thinking is why would you need a knife at a footy game, clearly to stab someone, LOL and there's the problem. All of us are victims of the minority changing things for the majority, my personal gripe is firearms law which is a whole other subject
the bottom line is as said common sense and if necessary a day in court to prove the system is broken and shite
I've only been searched once going in, it was at Celtic Park, it was more of a pat down and the Officer who was doing it looked pretty uninterested about the whole process, I did have it in my pocket but it wasn't detected, I was asked "if I had anything on me I shouldn't" and it was only then that it occurred to me that it was in my pocket. We also had a sniffer dog round us which seemed a bit OTT. I should add I wasn't singled out, we all got the same treatment, even my retired friend with his grandson (who is disabled) and it put a number of us off going back to Celtic park. What was particularly galling was that it was only the away end that got this treatment, I was speaking to a mate who'd been in the home end and he was surprised at all of this. I'm a Dundee supporter so its not like some bitter rivalry between us.

I wouldn't want to have to go to court though, I've never set foot in one and I'd like to keep it that way. I would imagine the likely outcome would be that I would be refused entry if I wasn't willing to hand it over. You'll know better than me but my understanding was that you didn't need justification to carry a legal sub 3" blade, it only applied to larger ones, ie tools or reasons to have a larger knife. Although owners or whatever can always reserve the right of entry for whatever reason. Maybe a simplification on my part.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Not being racest or anything but after reading through this post I would be intrested in age and colour( can I still say colour :? ) of the people who carry knives. My newphew who was 18 at the time had real trouble with the police stopping him lucky enought not when he had his knife on him( shooting rabbits) but he was always careful to check that it was not in any of his pockets if he went out for a social eveing as he always got stopped and surched on the way home.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

hi mate
its all about location location location
some areas its all young white males in others Asians in others Albanian or Kenyan or London young black kids
its about drugs and tribal gang warfare 'you stab me mate up I will stab you up' of course its a vicious circle that ends with unnecessary death and serious injury
Of course your going to get stopped and spoken to if your out at night in a specific area high in crime or drugs that's a young persons life nowadays, in a big city, although my son who is out after work very late has never been stopped ever. he knows the score so if he should be Id be surprised if he was searched as he wouldn't fit the stop search rules.
as I've said before its about being sensible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

junmist wrote:Not being racest or anything but after reading through this post I would be intrested in age and colour( can I still say colour :? ) of the people who carry knives. My newphew who was 18 at the time had real trouble with the police stopping him lucky enought not when he had his knife on him( shooting rabbits) but he was always careful to check that it was not in any of his pockets if he went out for a social eveing as he always got stopped and surched on the way home.
Fat middle aged white dude, although don't be fooled, I know how to throw shapes on the dance floor. 8-)

Generally dressed in jeans and a T shirt, I don't really try and cultivate a 'tough' look, even when I am at the foozbaal.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.