Bob / edc back up phone

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Bob / edc back up phone

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/nokia ... ealType=pg

Got one of these with £10 credit on compared to standard smart phone standby etc is way longer... It even has a weak torch and comes with a mains charger

Basic simple with no bells or whistles but it texts and rings. (Wanted an alternative network for when hill walking )
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Re: Bob / edc back up phone

Post by Deeps »

I need to rethink my 'spare' phone, I've had an old Nokia 3310 (or very similar) for years that I used to take away with me and put a local sim card in for phoning taxis etc when abroad. The battery lasts forever and considering my sausage fingers it was surprisingly easy to text on despite its weally weally ickle size (its small size is one of the things I like about it). My problem now is that I've not used a Nokia charger for a long time so it requires its own cables. I carry power banks and cabling for the standard (non Iphone) connector so getting a phone that it would fit could be handy. I have to weigh this up against what I have and now never use, hmmmm.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I was surprised when I saw it comes with the standard micro USB plug not the old round Nokia which means it will charge off my standard car charger and USB power banks win win ;)

Did a check on my old old Nokia but the battery had swollen so I costef a battery and this handset came in much cheaper all round

PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Explaining a second phone to my misses could be difficult haha :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PreparedKent wrote:Explaining a second phone to my misses could be difficult haha :lol:

Just put one number in it (hers) and use s different name like clare... OPSEC and all that then await the phone call where she will ring herself :tinfoil

This will live in the glove box once the hiking I'd out of the way as my smart phone seems to go through a charge a day...

Witnessed a car crash and young lad phone died whilst he was trying to organise recovery he was rather inconvenienced and his car charger no longer worked as I had removed the battery since the smashed up fuse box was smoking badly due to the engine compartment almost been level with the dash board

Only thing to remember is to make a connecting call every x days to keep the sim card active

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

PreparedKent wrote:Explaining a second phone to my misses could be difficult haha :lol:
Just tell her you're a drug dealer. :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote:
Just tell her you're a drug dealer. :lol:

its even got bluetooth ive just discovered and fm radio when you stick ear phones in now im even more happy :mrgreen:

so happy im off to get another tomorrow :roll:

So where else can you get a Torch (all be it not overly good and no real focus), a FM radio , mobile phone, calculator, music player, and games machine, digital calendar (go on whos mid 30's who was addicted to snake :? ) for £3.47 (ok plus £10 top up on most networks)

womble

Post by womble »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:...as my smart phone seems to go through a charge a day...
Most smart phones have a power save feature that you could probably engage while you're hiking, unless you're using the GPS features (and even then you might be able to get a halfway house with GPS on and all the other juice-sucking bells and whistles off). Modern smartphone batteries are much better than the batteries in the 3310, and will give just as long a life if you only ask them to do turn-of-the-century-mobile-phone things. Also, I find my smart phone drains faster when further from (up to and including "out of range of" as the furthest) any mast. I imagine that's cos it spends more time ramping up its receiver amplification and shouting loudly into the empty aether trying to find something to connect to, and this needyness is greatly curtailed by ultra power save mode.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

womble wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:...as my smart phone seems to go through a charge a day...
Most smart phones have a power save feature that you could probably engage while you're hiking, unless you're using the GPS features (and even then you might be able to get a halfway house with GPS on and all the other juice-sucking bells and whistles off). Modern smartphone batteries are much better than the batteries in the 3310, and will give just as long a life if you only ask them to do turn-of-the-century-mobile-phone things. Also, I find my smart phone drains faster when further from (up to and including "out of range of" as the furthest) any mast. I imagine that's cos it spends more time ramping up its receiver amplification and shouting loudly into the empty aether trying to find something to connect to, and this needyness is greatly curtailed by ultra power save mode.
You could always put it on flight mode when you've no plans to use it. I noticed a big difference when I was at sea and out of range of everything. I could still use it for games, music etc.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I have the earlier version of this, the Nokia 100 IIRC.

Bought 3 of them for £27 four years ago.

I charge up the batteries for spares when I go away camping.

Great phones, basic but that's all I need.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.