Bob / edc back up phone

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
munchh

Re: Bob / edc back up phone

Post by munchh »

I have a pink 101 somewhere that i found at a booty, but i bought a very similar samsung phone, no internet, camera, bluetooth, just phone and txt, but it takes 2 sims, so i can put mine and Mrs Munchh's sims in and they are on different networks, i got it for about £16, but just checked ebay and there doesnt seem to be any on there now?

It has the same problem great battery, but totaly different charging socket from any ive ever had, i like the idea of only needing one, i might have to get one at that price.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Funnily enough I was just thinking of using my old galaxy s2 (now retired) as a back up/BOB phone, but the only issue I can see is that if the phones dont make or receive a call every so often the network disable that number, it seems like it has to make so many calls every 3 months. I know thats not a big deal but if your busy and forget your emergency phone could be dead.
I've just been told some networks will shut off a phone if it's not detected on their network for more than 25 days (this from a virgin tech.)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have one of those little Nokia 130s, mine is bright orange so I don't lose it, got it so I don't have to risk losing or soaking my smartphone, and so I don't have to worry about the battery running out on a hiking trip, good little phone, basic but it does the job nicely.
Worth keeping an eye on quidco or the other sites like it if you're a member, I got the phone free with the purchase of £10 credit, and I also got £5 cash back so the phone and credit cost me a fiver, can't go wrong really.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Luckily for me the field of work I am in I have obtained some spare phones which I have set aside in BOBs etc.

They are a bit old but 2 main features I looked at when choosing them.

Sim card type. I chose a phone that takes the older original full size sim and I bought some sim card adatpers as in case you needed to "borrow" another persons sim:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-IN-1-PACK-N ... SwNSxVQNFS

Then I looked at battery charge. Newer phones can need 1Amp (1000mah) plus. If you look at solar charging or a cheapo windup type the max charge output you can achieve is probably 0.5Amp (500mah) which would not even register on the phone/battery.
Gordon's Alive!?
Mr spyder

Post by Mr spyder »

Chinese do a lighter phone size and shape of disposable lighter for a tenner will do a review when I get one
munchh

Post by munchh »

I ordered one of these credit card phones but have not got around to give it a go. I will update when i have. All i can tell you right now is it fits inside a tobacco tin so will make a tin kit a bit more usefull. :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

As a note for anyone thinking of buying a cheap back up phone, check your service provider will cover that make and model of phone.

I'm with 3, and they will only cover 3g handsets and better. majority of the cheaper simple phones will only use 2g at best.

I ended up buying a KAZAM dual sim phone which is a rugged house-brick of a phone however it is 3g. I've 2 different sim cards in it (different service providers on PAYG) which enables me to use different towers when needed.

Battery lasts just over a month (switched on) and is chargeable from any micro USB connector. Switched off the battery has lasted on a full charge for 5 months before I've turned it on for a test and quick call to keep the lines active.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Although a few years away yet but 2g will be phased out from around 2020

I think though 3 (and maybe others) may have already started that process.
Gordon's Alive!?
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Personally I'm not convinced that they're not starting to do away with 3G too! (always a worry when you find yourself putting "they" in the first sentence! :tinfoil ). I have an iPhone 4 which is 3G and I swear there are now many places where I used to get 3G (like the local train station) where I now only get GRSM(?) Or some such acronym. My friend who has a 4G phone gets 4G at the station with no problems. I used to get 3G all over my house. Now I often don't. Grumpy grump grump...it's a conspiracy to force me to upgrade my phone!!! :tinfoil :tinfoil ;)
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb