My new tent...

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

My new tent...

Post by dangerman »

It may never arrive, but I think I got a bargain on a new tent for my motorcycle camping trips. As I've said on another thread, I've been using the Hi Gear Soloista for the last couple of years and it's perfect for a backpacking tent, but it is a little cramped and if it's raining, and you don't want to sleep, you have to just lie down. No hope of sitting in it.

I browse Decathlon for bargains amongst other stores and impulsively purchased this...

It's a Quechua AIR SECONDS XL Tent - 3 Man. It's a blow up tent - not like a tent that's also a bomb (even though that would be cool and someone should really invent that) and it cost me £65. No pegs or anything, just unpack it, blow it up and peg it down. Set up looks to be super duper quick and I should be sat enjoying whiskey in no time from now on.

I purchased this chair to accompany it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTAD-Ultralig ... s_ap_1_vtp

I'll be in total luxury while I pretend to be a survivor-man. :D

Anyone got any experience with inflatable tents? Does this look like a good deal to you? I can't see any tents like this anywhere else, and this French brand seems to have a good reputation.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
munchh

Re: My new tent...

Post by munchh »

Looks like a good price, my brother has the next size up and is very happy with it, the company were big in the pop up tent , these inflatable ones are a step in anothe direction i think, they are far more sturdy than i thought they would be. Not my cup of tea, but they are definatly well made.

i have the stupidly higher priced version of the chair, but i am 15st and its great and fits in the side pouch of most of my backpacks, it will be interesting to see how the cheaper one fares.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

It wouldn't usually be my cup of tea either, but I want it specifically for camping on my motorcycle. The tent and the pump fit on the pillion seat which means I've got a backpack and a tank bag to put the rest of my crap in. The tent is a good size for all my gear and I will hopefully be able to sit comfortably inside it with my chair when it's raining. I wanted something that was quick and easy to pitch, and I want it to be quick and easy to pack away too (but that will remain to be seen I think :D ). The two year warranty may come in handy if I find it's not fit for purpose.

The chair looked like a bargain, Go Outdoors do an OEX one similar for £45 I think. It looked the part but I opted for the cheaper one from Amazon because it still comes with the same 12 month warranty. My wife used it for sports day and was impressed with it, it fitted in her handbag no problem and there is nothing like a seat with proper back support when you're hanging around in a field for hours at a time. I'm 17st (105kg?) and so far so good. I've been lowering myself very gently into it and once I'm sat it seems a little off balance, but it's easy to get used to. It's supposed to be good for up to 150kg but I'd like to see that. As I gain confidence in it I'll start being a little less gentle with it.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Inflatable tents? So what should you do in the middle of the night when it starts to leak?
A normal tent or a pop up can easily be mended with Duct tape. My experience is that all problems with tents occur when it's dark and you are tired, cold and it's pouring down from the skies.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MissAnpassad wrote:Inflatable tents? So what should you do in the middle of the night when it starts to leak?
A normal tent or a pop up can easily be mended with Duct tape. My experience is that all problems with tents occur when it's dark and you are tired, cold and it's pouring down from the skies.

Chandlery and a couple of bonson repair kits
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
MissAnpassad wrote:Inflatable tents? So what should you do in the middle of the night when it starts to leak?

Chandlery and a couple of bonson repair kits
Repair kits take time so "become strong" (don't know the correct term). I just get pissed of at companies who trick people to bye stuff that is right for the dumpster (dont feel bad threadstarter, its not you i'm after).
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I'll be fine, I never go anywhere without my trusty bivvy bag. If the tent totally collapsed I'd just get myself inside that, nice and warm and dry. And it would be an adventure! :D I've had worse adventures I can tells yer.

The tent has a two year warranty and so if it failed at any point during that time I'd get my money back. All round win for me really. I hope if fails some time summer 2018. :)
munchh

Post by munchh »

Aswell as one of these my brother has an inflatable paddle board, he recons it not the same technology as the board which you would not know is not a solid board when its up, but its similar, the beams on the tents are very different to anything ive seen, not like an olld lino or dingy, more like a proper zodiak boat and then covered in the tent material, you would have to stab it with something pretty heafty, he has not had any leaks or pinholes yet?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I saw a family sized inflatable pole tent in use a few weekends ago, have to say it looked very rigid when it was up, they were using a fancy hand pump though so no idea what pressure they run at.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

I hate putting up tents so an inflatable tent would get a thumbs up from me.

If I'm doing something outdoors that requires a sleep my misses never comes with me so its tarp or bivvi if I'm in the middle of nowhere or drop the seats right down in the back of my car and sleep in that it not