Rucksack

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Mr R

Rucksack

Post by Mr R »

As my rucksack is falling apart, I have started to look for a new one but so far, I haven't seen anything that impresses me - certainly not for the money.

A colleague suggested the 5.11 Ignitor 16 Backpack, which I had a look at yesterday and concluded that it is not worth £140!

Does anyone here have any suggestions, based on the following requirements?

1. A capacity of roughly 30 litres.

2. MUST be comfortable with frame support, or similar.

3. I am not too fussed about the cost, as long as the item is value for money and will last.

Thank you.
Vat69

Re: Rucksack

Post by Vat69 »

What about a Swedish lk35 ? that has a frame and you can pick them up for about £20-30.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Get yourself down to Go Outdoors or similar and try some on, they're not tactical bags but built for walking/climbing and to be comfortable. I've got a load of rucksacks of different sizes and I don't buy unless I've tried them on. If you spend a bit of money on a Berghaus or Lowe etc then they'll last for years.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If you want a tactical style bag with molle etc then you could try one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/361000056338 I have one, hip and chest strap and covered in molle attachments, and for less than 12 quid you can't go wrong really, not the same quality as a 5.11, those are really well made, but has good solid zips, reasonable but not amazing buckles and is made of good thick material with decent stitching, so although I haven't had it long enough to really recommend it based on longevity there's nothing that worries me, and even if something does break chances are it'll be a buckle, and I always have a selection of decent quality spares, you could change every buckle on it and you'll still never even get close to half the cost of a 5.11 pack.

Another brand to look at is condor, they make some good quality stuff, not cheap, but usually not brutally expensive either, I also have a few onetigris pouches, they're really well made too and they make a lot of tacticool stuff, they're only just starting to get popular so they've not jacked their prices up too high yet.

If comfort is your main issue though and you're planning on putting a fair bit of weight in it you'll really be better served finding a place that sells the kind of stuff you want and trying it, you're unlikely to get much adjustment for back length in a small pack, (if you get any) so what is comfy for me might not be for you.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

These are robust and good quality used them for years.. would highly recommend them.
Good zips buckles straps comfortable etc http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/walk-hi ... oCrjTw_wcB
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

QUAID wrote:These are robust and good quality used them for years.. would highly recommend them.
Good zips buckles straps comfortable etc http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/walk-hi ... oCrjTw_wcB
Berghaus all the way for me too.
pseudonym wrote:Horses for courses.

You need to try before you buy a new bergen.

It needs to fit your back size and be comfortable for you.

It needs to be full of kit when you do this.

Reputable shops will allow you to do all of the above.

I swear by Berghaus, It is all I have used or owned for 25+ years.

There are other makes out there, all with there own merits but....

I only retired my first one last year (front left).

The new Centrino range ( Right front and rear) from Berghaus has molle on the front and the MMPS side pouches are interchangeable between the Centrino 30,40 and 90/20 to give you the option of having 30,40,50,60,90 or 110 litres.

HTH. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Mr R wrote:
A colleague suggested the 5.11 Ignitor 16 Backpack, which I had a look at yesterday and concluded that it is not worth £140!

Thank you.

I dont know that model but just thought I would say that my 5.11 Rush 24 has been fantastic in the 4/5 years I have owned it, so can vouch for the quality and durability of 5.11 gear,,, used (and abused) daily for three years at work........and still 100% :D

And a brill prepper ruck ...........loads of pockets etc, I found camping rucks were a bit limited in this regard...

A Rush 24 is 37 litres and the 72 is 55 litres,are they any good for you ??..... there are a few used 72s on ebay for £75
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

+1 with what he said^^^^^^^^

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I'm off to the camping shop, at the weekend, for a fitting and will report back.
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Well, after all that I bought a Lowe 30 litre rucksack. Not the best quality that I saw, but it was on offer (and therefore the cheapest) and most importantly, it is comfortable!

Will give it a test run at the weekend.

Thanks once again for the replies.