Rugged mobile phones

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
cornerstone

Rugged mobile phones

Post by cornerstone »

I have trouble with background noise on ordinary mobiles and i have just bought a CAT B30 and it is much better than the normal ones.
I intend to get a better one, that has a military grade noise canceller, i was just wondering had anyone else got a rugged or outdoor phone and to just say that they are much better maybe of some use as outdoor kit.

anyways just thought i would share maybe of use also some have gorilla glass so unbreakable i paid £65 and the higher end ones are £100 to £200 and you can also get smartphones.
preparedsurrey

Re: Rugged mobile phones

Post by preparedsurrey »

I have an iphone4 in a Griffin Survivor case, tough enough for me to use everyday for site work in the building trade, comparatively water resistant too. I just need to track down an android phone of the same size that I can get another Griffin case for.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

If you want the best and trust me they are then check out http://ruggear.co.uk

NOT cheap but the first time you use one you will know it's for you

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
metatron

Post by metatron »

For outdoors stuff I use a Nokia 101 with dual sims (one UK sim, the other with a Irish sim, so it can roam and I can always call and text). If it's raining I normally stick it in a carrier bag in my pocket, but I do have a throat mic for it, as it was dirt cheap on eBay. The mic works well even on the top of windy ridges and mountains.

Realistically the only thing that can break a Nokia (not the Microsoft ones) is another Nokia, even when the sun explodes I expect it to still be working.
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

Thanks for all the replies
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Never owned one but i have heard good things about sonim mobile phones. Supposed to be very tough, so i'm told.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

metatron wrote:For outdoors stuff I use a Nokia 101 with dual sims (one UK sim, the other with a Irish sim, so it can roam and I can always call and text). If it's raining I normally stick it in a carrier bag in my pocket, but I do have a throat mic for it, as it was dirt cheap on eBay. The mic works well even on the top of windy ridges and mountains.

Realistically the only thing that can break a Nokia (not the Microsoft ones) is another Nokia, even when the sun explodes I expect it to still be working.

Agree , have one in my glove box as a backup , I have it switched off , and charge it about once every 9 months just to keep it topped up ( does not need it lol ) , have not tried it but supposed to have 35 days standby ...

In a shtf situation would last longer than any smart phone or similar

Have had a tesco sim in it for the last 3 years , topped it up with a tenner when I bought it and still has most of it still on , tho as an emergency phone you dont really need a sim as all phones can make 999 calls without one..

But has been great on the few occasions where I have forgot my phone or charge cable.. :D

Just wrap in loo paper/bubble wrap and stick in a old tobacco tin in a ziploc bag and bobs your uncle...... and cost a fiver

Here you go free phone for a backup http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-no ... ee-2411567
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Cheers for the link there tanstaafl, I'd actually dug out my ancient Nokia to stick some credit on it and take it on a hiking trip, and since that link is a free phone when you buy a tenner's worth of credit and gives you a fiver cash back from quidco it's a no brainer really.
I always take two phones with me, both so I have a spare but also so I can keep the battery on my smartphone for gps in case of emergency.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

The mobile is the most useful and versatile piece of EDC - why compromise and go for anything other than a smartphone? Most of the new generation are waterproof so all you need to do is stick an Otterbox onto it.

You can get a Moto G for about £129 (3rd gen is the waterproof one) and an otterbox is about £20. That RugGear one looks very impressive, but I bet it's not as quick as the current generation of popular smartphones and therefore not as versatile. Plus with the Moto G (other similar ones are available), being so much cheaper, if you lose it it doesn't matter as much.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.