Micro survival kits

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Micro survival kits

Post by sniper 55 »

I was looking through some old survival magazines yesterday and came across an item about micro survival kits. The idea was to break down the large tin/pouch contents into smaller carriers, like tictac boxes and film canisters (it was from the 1980's) making it lighter and easier by spreading the kit about your person, and you'd loose less if one part got damaged or lost.
Now I suppose there is a sort of logic to that idea but personally I'm not convinced.

I'm courious what other think of the idea. is anybody doing this?
Jamesey1981

Re: Micro survival kits

Post by Jamesey1981 »

There's actually a company selling them on Amazon stuffed into empty shotgun cartridges, they do a fire kit and a survival kit, I can see the the usefulness of the fire kit ones, they contain a few waterproof matches, some waxed jute tinder and a small ferrocerium rod, and may be quite handy one day as they'll go on a key ring, but the survival kits not so much, I've never been in a survival situation thankfully, but if I were it's tough to see how it would be improved by two small fish hooks with three feet of line, and four inches of snare wire.
If you were to make one that's appropriate to where you are or what you do on a day to day basis it might be handier though if it's small enough to go on your keys or you leave one in your jacket pocket, maybe a few quid in change, couple of plasters and some paracetamol for example, I have an altoids tin with a few bits like that in it, as well as other bits in my wallet, more in my bag and still more in my car, never know if you're going to lose your bag or wallet, or have it stolen.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:There's actually a company selling them on Amazon stuffed into empty shotgun cartridges, they do a fire kit and a survival kit, I can see the the usefulness of the fire kit ones, they contain a few waterproof matches, some waxed jute tinder and a small ferrocerium rod, and may be quite handy one day as they'll go on a key ring, but the survival kits not so much, I've never been in a survival situation thankfully, but if I were it's tough to see how it would be improved by two small fish hooks with three feet of line, and four inches of snare wire.
If you were to make one that's appropriate to where you are or what you do on a day to day basis it might be handier though if it's small enough to go on your keys or you leave one in your jacket pocket, maybe a few quid in change, couple of plasters and some paracetamol for example, I have an altoids tin with a few bits like that in it, as well as other bits in my wallet, more in my bag and still more in my car, never know if you're going to lose your bag or wallet, or have it stolen.
I've got the cartridge survival one, I binned the fish hooks and wire, I'm rarely out of urban areas and if I am then its by choice so take extra gear. I've squeezed a couple of extra bits and bobs in although I did it when I got it a couple of years back and can't remember what I put in. :oops: You're right in that they're not the be all and end all but as a key chain set its OK. It has a compass and rod & steel and is quite 'pocket ergonomic' but its very much up to each of us to go with what works for us. I do carry it for EDC which is fairly minimal but I have an 'extended EDC' for when I'm more than a walk away from home.
jansman

Post by jansman »

They are interesting to play around with. Heaven knows I have wasted enough time mucking around trying to create the ultimate mini kit. Like Deeps said, you have to go with what works for you. I have now got to the point where I actually take notice of what my dad said. A shilling , a shut knife and a piece of string is what you should have in your pocket.It is actually a uk legal 'rough rider' penknife, fag lighter, 5' hank of cord and a twenty pound note in the pill holder on the key rings.

I am tempted by one of those shotgun cartridge jobbies though... :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'd personally be wary of using a shotgun cartridge as a container . Not the concept of a small container but I could foresee a situation that is a bit confused or hectic and an under pressure police officer finds shotgun shells on your person ......
defender130

Micro survival kits

Post by defender130 »

Shotgun cartridges are perfectly legal to have about your person, even in the UK

You have to have a certificate to buy them but not possess

I could go and buy 1000 cartridges on my certificate and give them to my wife as soon as I set foot out of the shop, perfectly legal as no certificate required for possession

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

Nothing wrong with using an old shotgun cart as a container. Even carrying a live one is not illegal for most people.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Thanks for the replies everybody.
I like the idea of a mini fire kit, I could see that coming in handy if my edc/pocket stuff got lost or damaged (and I've jusr realised my lighter isn't waterproofed) I'm not so sure about a mini survival kit, I don't even carry fish hooks in my edc kit, although I do have safety pins and they are easily turned into hooks. I do carry them in my GHB in my good old survival tin funnily enough.
My edc is sort of based on a night out if I got stranded somewhere, poncho, space blanket, torch, fire kit etc. I might do a proper post with pics if anybody is interested (in the edc thread)

Somewhere I've got a metal keyring match case with a screwtop, that might do the mini fire kit, if I can find it.

Thanks again for the replies.
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

Personally my opinion is they are gimmicky. I don't see how they could be any better for you or would make you better prepared then, say, carrying a survival tin which is only a bit bigger and can fit more gear in them. If you were literally on the brink of a no-hope situation and you only had a cartridge or a small pill case to hand you're better off putting high energy glucose powder or pills in it for you to take to keep your energy levels up just to give you a fighting chance for you to keep going or keep awake in a last ditch attempt at saving your life. I don't see how a snare kit or matches is going to do that. But I know people find themselves in all sorts of situations so it really depends doesn't it. For someone like me though this would be a waste of time.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

defender130 wrote:Shotgun cartridges are perfectly legal to have about your person, even in the UK

You have to have a certificate to buy them but not possess

I could go and buy 1000 cartridges on my certificate and give them to my wife as soon as I set foot out of the shop, perfectly legal as no certificate required for possession

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not so much the legal standing that I find concerning . Rather a shotgun cartridge will attract attention in the way that something more everyday like a fag packet won't. We don't wear "prepper" tee shirts do we? I think there's an element of looking cool to carry that. Similarly a small knife can be legally carried and I carry a SAK , however , I also have a small knife made out of a .303 rifle round . Looks like a regular round but pull the bullet out from the case and there is a small blade attached . Turn it round to use. Looks cool but I don't carry it round with me.