10 year olds purse

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Briggs 2.0

Re: 10 year olds purse

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I think they are called scrunchies, the covered elastic hair band thingies. I'm assuming she has long-ish hair. If not, there's a few other uses for a soft elastic band.

The Nitecore USB micro torch is a few quid, rechargeable via the USB and provides a lot of light from a tiny torch.

Great idea, by the way.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
munchh

Post by munchh »

Ive come in a bit late as i recon its all been covered, but just my 2peneth.

When we go to museums and places like that we put a card in all our kids pockets with our contact numbers and a short note, a laminated one that she can hand to someone is a great idea.

Whistle,
small AAA light (trunite Ti3 i can vouch for although it is £20). But there are plenty of the button size ones with switches on now for a couple of quid.
Small alcohol gel if not wipes.
One of those vacuum squished flannels, they are tiny before you open it. Poundland.
Safety pins and plasters.
One of those dummy credit cards that comes through post with some duct tape on it one way and a couple of nothes in the other sides with some wrapped round it.
Of a pencil with one of the above wrapped round it.
Chapstick?

Thee are all things ive got in pocket and tin kits. There are all sorts of other bits you could put in like a button compass, but im not sure it would be relivant in this case?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

It's never too late to come in with ideas Munchh :)

Well we are all in agreement about the torch, I think the parents can be convinced if I can get her to use it at the right time, like when her mother is carrying stuff down the steps.

Some great ideas thanks everyone.

Jamesey, I find the grenades to be a little too messy maybe a taser? seriously though nice idea about the bus tickets I'll have to look into it, I haven't caught a bus in over 20 years so I haven't got a clue what offers are available
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

sniper 55 wrote:
Arzosah wrote:does she understand the 999 concept?
Have you talked to ten year olds recently? They are more mature these days, I'd be concerned if she didn't understand 999. Blimey most 10 year olds around here are out on the p*** every weekend... ;)
Mmm, yes I have :)

I was just checking the reality of the situation - I've worked with a few adults who were that age, on their own with their parents, who died. Anyone forgets easy stuff in a trauma (sorry Aldhelm, I know thats a bit intense, but it really does happen, sadly).
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Does she understand 999, at 10 years old ????

Most kids know 999 procedure before they start school and are expected to know full name, address, parents names and phone ## in Kindergarten.

My 5 year old grand daughter has hacked her moms phone several times, figuring out the password on her own.

My 11 year old GD has her own smart phone complete with apps and uses a lap top for her homework when she can get it from the video game playing 5 year old

And there is a torch app on most phones!
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

I agree Azosah in a pressure situation people do forget even the most basic things particularly children, while kids today do understand the 999 procedure maybe a leaflet about first aid (a very basic one) may be an idea that gives them something to do and reminds them to call for help.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Just an update on this, she has now got her EDC although I did decide to up the size of the purse and stuck a packet of tissues in there too, I just couldn't resist it.

BTW She used the torch to find her sisters dummy so thats that one solved :D