Knives/ Machete's with holes in the blade

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

I have been researching various types of knives and machete's on t'internet and although I have a couple of bush knives myself (without holes in the blade) and I am just curious to know what the purpose of these 'holes' are.

I have read on various reliable/ unrealiable sources that these 'holes' are placed into the blade to reduce weight and improve cutting while still retaining the blade's strength. However with that being said many of these sources do not provide any definitive answer.

Are there anybody that can give a definitive answer what these holes are for and if/ or they are beneficial at all to the knife you are using?

L.O.B or there is actually a use for these holes?
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
defender130

Post by defender130 »

I would guess it is purely for weight saving or looks

May allow a slightly denser/stronger grade of steel to be used with no weight gain but like I said that is just a guess so will stand to be corrected in due course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lee3

Re: Knives/ Machete's with holes in the blade

Post by lee3 »

Oooooo I like this one! ......the sensible side of my brain says its purely a looks thing.....while the bit that rears its ugly head every time I'm faced with an obstacle firstly says ...."less surface area less friction!".....hmm and then argues itself senseless with such things as... "smaller surface area same pressure ...=higher pressure per square inch...=more friction?"...." Would the holes increase the likelihood of snags?".......so I need to get some control.....and say....its a looks thing....the balance between weight and length of blade is a personal one and holes only muddy the water and make no difference methinks!.....any physicists about?.......blood groove on a broadsword next? :D
I'm in area 1
lee3

Post by lee3 »

Someone tell mythbusters they can't possibly be on their last series the world needs these answers!
I'm in area 1
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

lee3 wrote:Someone tell mythbusters they can't possibly be on their last series the world needs these answers!

I thought about this, and have come to the conclusion that it's cosmetic, like nasty serrations on the back of some knives, looks mean and cool, but in many ways very unpractical, I have a saw backed Machete which I'm sure is in some obscure situation of some use, but I'd rather have a folding saw and a straight backed one, as I don't have much call for it I've stuck with it, if I had to offer advice I'd say if you can't see a use for it, get something else, something practical :)

I have a holy kitchen knife though which I believe is done to make it go through certain things easier, cheese perhaps?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Holes could break the suction in certain tasks ( like the previously mentioned cheese slicing ), but more usefully could be employed to lash the blade to something - perhaps you need to cut a rope you can't reach.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I bought a cheese knife that fits the "holey" description :mrgreen: like this set from John Lewis, except mine wasn't that sort of price: http://www.johnlewis.com/radford-cheese ... p231659831
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Holes in the top spine of a blade could be used to identify the orientation of the blade in the dark without finding the sharp end first?

Then again, so could gimping or knurling...

Could be used to bend wire as well.

In some cases grooves or holes might be useful (like in a Sentoku knife) but in most, i think it's down to styling
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I saw a kitchen knife with holes being demostrated a while back it cut through a solid frozen block of I think beef. Pretty impressive, don't know if the holes helped though.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

lee3 wrote:Oooooo I like this one! ......the sensible side of my brain says its purely a looks thing.....while the bit that rears its ugly head every time I'm faced with an obstacle firstly says ...."less surface area less friction!".....hmm and then argues itself senseless with such things as... "smaller surface area same pressure ...=higher pressure per square inch...=more friction?"...." Would the holes increase the likelihood of snags?".......so I need to get some control.....and say....its a looks thing....the balance between weight and length of blade is a personal one and holes only muddy the water and make no difference methinks!.....any physicists about?.......blood groove on a broadsword next? :D
*Insert 'Wincing' emoticon here*

Speaking as a smith, re-enactor and maker of practical swords, poking holes in most blades is at best a pointless styling habit and at worse adding weakness.

The whole weight thing could be (should be) done by altering the cross-section, but that requires skill rather then a drillpress.

Fullers (what Lee3 called a 'blood groove') add strength and/or stiffness or maintain those factors while reducing weight. They can be wide or narrow, forged or ground, simple or complex but they all work the same way as the ridges in an oil drum or the grooves in a jerrycan.

I don't think I've seen a historical bladed tool with otherwise unused holes in it, and punching a hole is a lot less work then forging (or grinding) an even fuller.
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar