Post by Yorkshire Andy »

so this is what i have in black

http://www.ashbysonline.co.uk/Catalogue ... TORMKETTLE

:ugeek:

so i had to have a play

So

shavings and wood feathered..

lit with a zippo

at this point you need to let the fire get going first attempt i snuffed the fire out putting the kettle on...

few minutes pre burning then kettle on

then added a bit more wood

within a minute i had a good blast of flame from the top

and about 6 minutes from putting the kettle on i had boiling water

Few points to note

i had the bottom "burner bowl" stick to the kettle requireing a deft kick to sepperate the fire from the kettle to pour... going to get a bit of scotch brite to clean the coating off the base edge to see if that makes it better

Dont attempt to use the wooden handle to lift the kettle off the fire if you dont want to burn your hands... lift from the sides...

ive got a few weeps from the bottom joint of the kettle but the instructions say its normal and it should seal itself with use.... but we will see
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
greyman

Re: "storm" kettle first "play"

Post by greyman »

Great aren't they,
I snuffed the fire out at first due to being impatient.
And burnt all the hairs of my hand.
And I like the word free hot water ;)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Crikey! goes like a rocket. Don't want to be leaning over that anytime, you could lose your eyebrows! :shock: :lol:

Thanks for that Andy. I had thought of getting one, but I think for safety's sake I'll stick with what I have.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

The handle is designed to be used horizontally. That is if you raise it to be at 90' (level with the ground) it should enable you to lift the kettle off the fire thereby avoiding carrying it with your hands over the chimney.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Brambles wrote:Crikey! goes like a rocket. Don't want to be leaning over that anytime, you could lose your eyebrows! :shock: :lol:

Thanks for that Andy. I had thought of getting one, but I think for safety's sake I'll stick with what I have.

I wouldnt say its dangerous like that you get a bigger ball of heat/ flame off a rapid boil gas stove :lol:

i work in the timber trade so bug in fuel is very easy to amass for sweet FA :mrgreen:

with this and the wood gas stove and one sack of scrap wood i can cook and boil water for almost free...

if the power goes off at work it would be no hardship to sweep the floor for bits of timber before i head home .. that and theres woods near by and then the garden fence to start on if it got desperate

one issue ive got is it sticking to the base i need to get a bit of emmery paper on it and clean the coating as the base coating seems to melt when it gets hot...

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Brambles wrote:Crikey! goes like a rocket. Don't want to be leaning over that anytime, you could lose your eyebrows! :shock: :lol:

I wouldnt say its dangerous like that you get a bigger ball of heat/ flame off a rapid boil gas stove :lol:

i work in the timber trade so bug in fuel is very easy to amass for sweet FA :mrgreen:

with this and the wood gas stove and one sack of scrap wood i can cook and boil water for almost free...

if the power goes off at work it would be no hardship to sweep the floor for bits of timber before i head home .. that and theres woods near by and then the garden fence to start on if it got desperate

one issue ive got is it sticking to the base i need to get a bit of emmery paper on it and clean the coating as the base coating seems to melt when it gets hot...
I can use my sterno stove with a trangia, chaffing gel or natural materials in a tin. They all fit in it. Now I've seen the storm kettle working I won't bother getting one. Done me a favour there!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ive got the trangia,about 5l of meths stashed away, chaffing gel tins and home made stands

Hexi stoves Coleman petrol stoves, various gas stoves including the fab £5 one someone linked on here last year and ive tried to collect ones that take a spread of cartridges so if in a shtf moment i can't get one type of cartridge chances are i can use what ever the open shop stocks...

and a wood gas stove

Image ..

the tight arse yorkshire man in me is liking wood for the reasons above ITS FREE! ... :lol:

its not exactly a portable unit but for bug in when the powers off and 1.5l of boiling water in about 6 mins if the fire wood is prepared Its another option with an almost infinite fuel supply locally And in a SHTF been able to boil to sterilise water easily with minimum fuel is a big plus for me

(that and its another gadget and I like gadgets..... and fire :twisted: almost as much i like my favourite mug kept full of Yorkshire tea i keep a good stock of the stuff as if it run out i would not be a happy chappy at 6am ) :mrgreen:

and having just made my bed time brew on it the removal of the bottom fire pan's coating where the kettle meets it seems to have cured the sticking problem :ugeek:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Brilliant! Thanks for taking a *series* of pix, I love those sort of posts.