A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by dangerman »

Just in case this hasn't been done before I thought that an updatable EDC specific thread is in order. It's what I need in my life, I imagine someone else would like it too. Just ideas! Brief reviews are always good.

My office (bathroom) sessions are pretty much dominated by YouTube EDC videos and they are often annoying because there is the the same old crap on there, repeated videos with a dude waving his camera phone around telling us that he carries a fixed nine inch blade and an assault rifle to Wallmart everyday in Utah.

I'm going to make some of my own EDC vids (of the ones I've already posted pics of on here) just for the fact that I like making videos and I'm practicing my camera manner. But really, I haven't got it worked out, I carry stuff I don't need and need stuff I don't carry. And that's where this thread could come in!

I have, on occasion, been made aware of the odd gadget that usurps something else I have, or even takes the place of a couple of things! And that's the mission. Find out what works, what doesn't. And identify what we need versus what we don't. And so... Begin!

Here is my favourite EDC item - my phone. It's the LG G3 and I've had it for a year.

I might upgrade at some point soon since I have no particular loyalty to LG or any other phone, but for anyone who want's versatility and maximum functionality from their phone, consider this. It was one of the best phone's available until about six months ago and it used to cost about £500 - now you can pick one up from Amazon or eBay for about £200.

The reason I like it is that it has two VITAL features - a removable battery and it has expandable memory. Most phones don't have this anymore and so this has become an essential criteria. These phones are now cheaply purchased from eBay or Amazon or wherever. I got a 64GB card that works flawlessly for £9 and a spare battery that I keep in my wallet for £3.99. I bought a solid two part case for about a year ago and has protected it really well from my abuse. And now you can get Otterboxes and things like that for it on the cheap since it's an old model. Chargers cost about a quid each so I've got them everywhere.

When considering EDC, I always think Keys, Wallet, Phone. And the phone is probably the most important gadget of all, especially since you can now use them like a credit card.

Anyone else got any eqsetical EDC gadgets? Anything new that you're trying out?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dangerman

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by dangerman »

I think I've mentioned this one before, but I have one of these Swiss Army Champ Minis on my keys. I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY for something or other.

I used to have the more basic one, just with the single blade and the nail-file/screwdriver. But this thing is a world apart when it comes to actually useful things to have on your person. I used the blade so often on my last one that I wondered what I would do if the blade snapped. This one has two! I'll probably never need it, but the back up blade is peace of mind. The philips head screw driver I use every time I need to change the batteries on my remote control or on the kids toys. Plus I've used it in work just to nip up bits of furniture or whatever. That screwdriver is brilliant! The scissors are good too... It's just good. I also used the pen to sign in to work this morning because there isn't usually a pen there and it saves me taking my backpack off.

I also have this Gerber BG multi-tool keyring.

I used to carry it constantly on my keyring, but it started to look battered really really quickly and it was also too heavy to be a keyring. It actually pulled my keys from my ignition once it's so heavy. It's just a big lump. I now have this in my 'EDC' (Most day carry?) pouch that I carry as an extra in my jacket pocket or in my bag if I know I'm going somewhere. I like it, but it's more limited in a permanent carry sense than the SAK by a long long way.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

An EDC failure - The LED LENSER P3.

I've stuck in in my box of EDC spares and back ups. I carried it for a while in my pouch, but never needed it since the better mini torch I have is the ThruNite Ti2. I keep it in my wallet and I've used it for all my more specific daily tasks like going into my loft or whatever.

The P3 isn't as bright, plus it's bigger and more bulky. It's still a lovely little torch, but the only reason for owning it I now have is to give to my wife when we're going camping or on holiday somewhere. It's a shame really, because it has a couple of useful features over the Thrunite, like the actual button to turn it on and I think it has two settings of illumination brightness. Plus, it's a really nice little thing to hold! Good quality feeling little thing.

Ah well. Maybe I'll repurpose it sometime.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Due to regular hangovers as a youth, I've realised that bringing some pain killers with you can often come in handy. These days I find them less in use, but still, I like to carry a gram of paracetamol and 600mg of ibuprofen everywhere I go. This is the amount that the very worst hangover should need to be sorted and still allow you go to work.

However - EDC fail was this badboy.

Good for a £20 note, but as a pill holder? No. It only fits some shapes of paracetamol, maximum two tablets, and no shapes of ibuprofen that I've found. So, for 1g of paracetamol it can be used. But good luck getting them out when you need them. They first turn to powder and then you need to have tweezers handy to get the rest out.
metatron

Post by metatron »

I was working in London today, so here's my pocket dump.

I got in a few minutes ago, so this is the jacket all that crap is in, minus the watch which was on my wrist.

Phone of choice is a Google Nexus 5, soon to be replaced with the new Nexus 5. I don't buy Android devices from other companies as I don't like shovelware and i like my phone to get software updates, not just abandoned like most manufactures.

CRKT Edgie, LED Lenser P3, set of picks (to get into server cabinets)

Set of keys with a Gerber Dime and Energizer mini torch attached.
Wallet with encrypted back up of everything important.
Key for my car
Victorinox Chronograph

Two Lamy fountain pens, one with black ink one with blue, plus extra inks.
Boker pen with Fisher Space pen refill in.
Rotring 300 maniacal pencil, plus extra lead.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

That's a nice watch Metatron! I have been looking at those type of watches for a long time, but never took the plunge. I've got a Tissot PR50 but I decided recently that I need to carry less stuff - minimalist, like. The watch is just for occasional wear now, my phone can tell me the time.

I agree about your choice of phone too, I nearly bought the Nexus 5 but the LG has slightly better features and was the same price at the time. It has a little bit of bloat wear but not too much, and Google update it as if it's pure android.

Does the Nexus 5 have a removable battery and the expandable memory?

I also have that Energizer torch keyring, brilliant! The throw on it is perfect for the most common tasks like checking the car before you go into the house or looking by your feet when leaving the cinema.
metatron

Post by metatron »

dangerman wrote:That's a nice watch Metatron! I have been looking at those type of watches for a long time, but never took the plunge. I've got a Tissot PR50 but I decided recently that I need to carry less stuff - minimalist, like. The watch is just for occasional wear now, my phone can tell me the time.

I agree about your choice of phone too, I nearly bought the Nexus 5 but the LG has slightly better features and was the same price at the time. It has a little bit of bloat wear but not too much, and Google update it as if it's pure android.

Does the Nexus 5 have a removable battery and the expandable memory?

I also have that Energizer torch keyring, brilliant! The throw on it is perfect for the most common tasks like checking the car before you go into the house or looking by your feet when leaving the cinema.
Nope, Nexus devices have non removable batteries and no expandable memory but 32GB seems to have been enough. The battery in my watch will last about 6 to 8 years, the battery in my Nexus is about two days at most, hence always having a watch. A good watch will out last you and can be passed down to kids, so I don't mind spending a bit on watches.

I really can't fault Energizer keyring torches, I've had that on my keys for four years and have never had one issue and only needed to change the battery once (admittedly I only use it for about 50 seconds a day)
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

metatron wrote: Nope, Nexus devices have non removable batteries and no expandable memory but 32GB seems to have been enough. The battery in my watch will last about 6 to 8 years, the battery in my Nexus is about two days at most, hence always having a watch. A good watch will out last you and can be passed down to kids, so I don't mind spending a bit on watches.
This is true. I do like watches, I've always enjoyed a nice watch and I've always gone swiss when I could, but jap when swiss was out of my budget.

But I still don't really need a watch, I always have a spare phone battery and a small Aukey battery in my day bag to top up if I need it. I can still use my phone. Theoretically I could give my phone a 100% charge three times just with my EDC.

What's the make and model of that watch?
metatron

Post by metatron »

dangerman wrote:
metatron wrote: Nope, Nexus devices have non removable batteries and no expandable memory but 32GB seems to have been enough. The battery in my watch will last about 6 to 8 years, the battery in my Nexus is about two days at most, hence always having a watch. A good watch will out last you and can be passed down to kids, so I don't mind spending a bit on watches.
This is true. I do like watches, I've always enjoyed a nice watch and I've always gone swiss when I could, but jap when swiss was out of my budget.

But I still don't really need a watch, I always have a spare phone battery and a small Aukey battery in my day bag to top up if I need it. I can still use my phone. Theoretically I could give my phone a 100% charge three times just with my EDC.

What's the make and model of that watch?
It's a Chrono Classic from Victorinox. Their not too pricy as you can get them for around £500, so its at that price point where its cheaper then most smart phones, yet unlike smartphones they don't lose their value.

I've got a small collection of watches but its normally that or a Omega Seamaster, as their not overly flashy. I quite like the G-Shock range too, but they don't really fit with my work wear most the time, which is smart, as I find its better to blend in, then be that IT guy who wears nothing but trainers, jeans, a suitable geeky t-shirt and hoodie when everyone around them is in a suit.

I did order a Ti2 torch through Amazon, but it was dead on arrival so I sent it back and didn't bother replacing it and took the refund.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ive tried the lenser above as a EDC torch but the blasted thing was always flat when i went to it (due to it turning on in my pocket)

I went back to the trusty Solitaire maglite which i had to strip and clean the contacts its lasted me years (got it on my 18th from my sister and im now mid 30's the knurling on the outside had vanished :o only to upgrade it last year to one of the newer LED versions which kicks the crap out of the older bulb version in terms of brightness

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-Solitai ... +solitaire

on my housekeys i have a leatherman squirt PS4 a £20 note in the pill pod shown above , a set of keys for my BOL, a first aid cpr mask and gloves, and a SOL howler whistle, and the maglite above..

Car keys carry the CPR mask and gloves and whistle and a spiderco Bug none locking knife and another £20 pill holder
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine