Zippo lighter for £4.99

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Mr R

Zippo lighter for £4.99

Post by Mr R »

I have just seen an advert (I'm currently in a 'confused' state, waiting for the rugby to start - at least that's my excuse for staring at the telly!) for one of those series of 'collector' magazines, that start off at 2p an issue and then escalate to £50, per copy.

Anyway, long story short - the first edition of the 'History of the Zippo lighter' (no idea what the correct name is!) costs £4.99, with a Zippo! Bargain!
butterbean

Zippo lighter for £4.99

Post by butterbean »

I saw that and thought what a bargain, thought it would be cool to collect them all. Then I saw the price of the rest of the collection and thought I'll stick with my turbo flame lighter. I'm going for the first issue tho, like you say well worth getting that 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
featherstick

Re: Zippo lighter for £4.99

Post by featherstick »

Dunno. Zippos? Leaky, run out of fuel when you need them, bulky...not convinced, personally.
raz

Post by raz »

they sell the same style lighters at asda for £1 there by Bull brand aint fancy but mines never let me down :)
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Got one out of curiosity. The first edition gives you the 'Florentine' version. Also got one from a £Shop and compared the two.

Zippo:
Has that nice clunk and click when opened... Pretty cool sound.
Solid feel.
Wadding is covered with a thick layer of felt

Pound Shop version:
Sounds Tinny
Works as per the Original Zippo
wadding is covered with a thin layer of felt (the only real difference)

Verdict - rather than spend £4.99 on the initial magazine for an original zippo, go for the pound shop version they are almost functionally exactly the same. Both have the same usage time.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I had a proper one for years but while they are reliable and you have the wadding, flint, ect for emergency fire lighting, I found the proper fuel ran out quite quickly and unleaded smoked a lot (and ran out quickly as well) These days I prefer a cheap gas lighter and a flint/steel as a back up.
If your a smoker and top it up every day or so it'll be fine, if like me it's used infrequently you'll have to remember to keep it topped up.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Not a good choice for a prepper as th fuel evaporates quickly due to the design, Ranger bands may help with that put a bic will last longer. When I was a smoker I found Zippos to be unreliable. and heard stories of soldiers losing their Zippos' in Land Rover Petrol Tanks as they use string to lower it in that was dissolved by Petrol
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

I bought the first issue, I'm a smoker (naughty I know) and happy topping it up regularly so no problem for me :)

I will probably pick and choose which issues I will buy and collect one or two.... From a preppers point of view have as many different means of lighting fire as possible, no tears when it runs out then