500w generator

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
butterbean

500w generator

Post by butterbean »

I finally have a the generator I have wanted for a long time. And I got it for free.

I have been donated an old 500w generator. A family member dug it out of storage and was going to throw it until he remembered something old like this is right up my street.
He used to use it years ago to run lights on a market stall. And he hasn't done that since at the latest was 2005. So it's going to need a service before I try and use it, I would usually be up for doing it myself but I would rather get it done professionally for the big 1 and do it myself in the future.

Does anybody know of anywhere to get it serviced in the Midlands,? preferably Leicester but travel around the East Midlands a lot so can go further afield if need be. And a guideline price I should expect?

I'm rather excited to have this and once it's up and running it's going to be a great addition to my preps.

I've worked with turbine and generators for the last 10 years but all big scale stuff so completely different from this little thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Derv

Re: 500w generator

Post by Derv »

500w genny for free! I'm really rather jealous.
Guinness drinker with a prepping problem.
Area 1, Wiltshire.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Try ringing a Horticulture Machine place. They tend to deal in two stroke equipment ( I am presuming at 500 w it is two stroke) there are plenty in Leicester. Look up Highmeres Horticultural in Mountsorrel Leics. they are 5 miles north of Leicester.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

if its 2 stroke it should be an easy service yourself at home....

biggest enemy will be the carb , fuel pipe and possibly a rusty bore.....

whip the spark plug out and put a tea spoon of 2 stroke oil in the hole and leaving the plug out pull it over a dozen times.... (this should re lubricate the piston rings and help clean the bore......

next dump any fuel

replace fuel pipe (clear any tap / tank filter)

remove carb

carefully dismantle and clean all the jets

theres bound to be a youtube video of most parts that need doing
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

any half decent lawn mower place can do you a service .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

If it is a 2 stroke wolf, powercraft etc just remember some are better than others, I was given one years ago that was still boxed as the owner couldn't start it. I got it starting reliably and it probably run 5 or 6 hours on and off before the main bearings collapsed. I think mine was rated at 800 or 1000w but that was absolutely peak power unless you got lucky it would trip off most of the time with the starting load
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....