Fishing

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Rearfang

Fishing

Post by Rearfang »

Sorting out my gear for family fishing trip
In disguise prepper food gathering training thought I was pretty well prepared for fishing but what about line
Only good for few years at best before becoming to brittle to use what then the gear becomes practical worthless
Is there a long life line or just resort to paranoid inner braid
unsure

Re: Fishing

Post by unsure »

i didn`t know line had a shelf life , if its not been in the water , at worse it would be a bit coiled but still usable . ive had sea line [20lbs] for years in the attic and its been fine . course line has never been in the house long enough to find out .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Store in a cool, dry place, but worse than anything is direct sunlight.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

I've not used it, but a lot of people these days are switching to braid fishing line

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emgreat-Super-S ... shing+Line
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

I'm a carp and trout angler and have been for a long time so hope this helps.

Braid is a fairly recent thing on the coarse fishing scene. Main difference is that monofilament line has stretch (give) in it whereas braid does not stretch. Braid is more used for big fish stuff and lure angling for predatory fish. Braid is the more technical of the two. Braid is viewed as being better for constantly being in contact with the fish but you have to play the fish more carefully as there is no stretch.

Both lines these days are compared on diameter not breaking strain with braid being thinner than the equivalent monofilament line. As a consequence its used in carp fishing as you can cast further out due to it being thinner than mono - same thing though, careful when you play the fish.

On braid your knots have to be spot on, again as it's not as forgiving as mono which is a tiny bit more forgiving..

For prepping purposes like survival kits i don't think there'd be much difference as all you want is something to eat - who cares if you catch it on low or hi tech gear.

For night lines (illegal in the UK but used by a lot of our multicultural friends when poaching as they can be set and left) would you really be bothered if its a SHTF scenario all you want is food?. I'd use mono as that's what I have, what I use currently and what I'm used to using.

Just bear in mind with braid being thinner its less likely to be seen sub surface by a fish and less likely to spook them.

Hope that helps, it can be quite technical so if you want more detail just ask...

One top tip - best place for survival kit fishing tackle is - the local tackle shop - happy to give pointers if anyone needs to know what to ask for.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

dazthechippy wrote: One top tip - best place for survival kit fishing tackle is - the local tackle shop - happy to give pointers if anyone needs to know what to ask for.
But don't tell them that you want a 'Survival fishing kit' as some places get quite snotty about any non-standard (and therefore mostly illegal in fresh water ) fishing techniques

On a related note, I recently acquired some nice lures (sand eels, one of them has a pre-decimal price handwritten on the card) and a couple of spoons. Should I replace the nylon before use ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

Hi FC, sand eels are sea fishing lures - best thing to do is replace the mono unless you're absolutely certain its not been used and stored in darkness - using fishing line means it picks up small abrasions against rocks (natural wear n tear) and it degrades in sunlight, so yes I'd replace it.

mackerel feathers are a good one to have in your kit too...