Lidl's LIVARNO LUX 3W Cree LED Torch

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Mr R

Lidl's LIVARNO LUX 3W Cree LED Torch

Post by Mr R »

Good evening,

Has anyone bought one of these torches from Lidl's and, if so, are they any good?

Thanks in advance.
Mr R

Re: Lidl's LIVARNO LUX 3W Cree LED Torch

Post by Mr R »

Well, as these only cost £6 I decided to buy one, thinking that if it not up to standard, I will use it around the house over the winter.

I haven't had the opportunity to test it in the dark yet and as I also purchased a few bottles of ale, this will not now happen until later in the week. Anyway, some notes / first impressions:

1. The beam is certainly bright - it shows up all of the cobwebs in the study (unlike my Gerber torch) and is as bright as my small Lenser. As I have already mentioned, I will test this properly later.

2. It certainly looks and feels the part. All metal, bar the on/off button, with a reasonable clip.

3. The information leaflet states that the LED lifespan is 10,000 hours but that the lamp cannot be replaced.

4. It is splashproof to a standard of IP44 - I have no idea what, exactly, that means in real terms.

5. It has four (4) functions, namely, Bright; Battery Saving; Flashing; and my favourite, an SOS mode (I think that's a nice touch).

My initial thoughts are that, like most of Lidl's products, it is good value for money, but I will rely on my Lenser torch when I am out walking over the winter (I am not exactly sure what I mean by this, but this feels like a 'town torch', not something to use when I am out and about in the middle of nowhere).

Anyway, I hope that this helps.

Mr R.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Found this on a DIY website
ip44 means it doesnt mind being splashed, but if you leave it outside and it rains it will not do it any good (prolonged splashing)
http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/ip44- ... ion.25744/
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

aldhelm - Thanks for the explanation.

Just in case anyone is interested, I finally had a play with this at the weekend. The beam is very bright, for a cheap torch, producing enough light to see clearly over the houses at the back of my garden (40 yards) and I am confident that it will be useful over further distances, although I feel that the 120 metres stated on the specifications, may be stretching it!

Switching between the functions is achieved by simply depressing the on/off button slightly.

Well worth £6, but I have already mentioned, this will be used around the house and I will continue to use my Gerber, when out walking.