Credit card knifes, Airport security beware!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

Re: Credit card knifes, Airport security beware!

Post by dangerman »

I've got that Lansky knife. It's ace. It does fold up on my fingers sometimes though. Bit annoying. But you're right, it is a whopper.

Just to be clear; I have this in my wallet - I really need to remove it?

I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Hi Dangerman,

This is a slightly different case, it would not be considered a knife so no conversation with a policeman,
however as its still a tool it would be against CAA/DFT rules for a hand luggage/personal carry, so either pack it in your hold luggage or you would loose it.

Great EDC when not flying however!
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Kris369 wrote:Hi Dangerman,

This is a slightly different case, it would not be considered a knife so no conversation with a policeman,
however as its still a tool it would be against CAA/DFT rules for a hand luggage/personal carry, so either pack it in your hold luggage or you would loose it.

Great EDC when not flying however!

I would tend to agree Kris369, but technically its got a blade and cant be readily closed without the use of a button/catch etc.............which would make it illegal..............

Will post in the ask a cop section over on british blades..............

Edit: The more I think about it the more I think its a no no, 1) Its a blade 2) Its fixed
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Hi all, the reason for starting this tread is that i am a airport engineer and was airport security for a couple of years before that,
now pass thorough security several times a day so know the rules down to individual items, (although it does vary slightly airport to airport and xray operator skill :shock: ).

The shocking thing was the amount of tools, knifes and other items people forget they carry everyday. From little old ladies with a small knife for her daily fruit, hollow fake bullets for granddads pills to multitools and beyond.

Basically i would hate for you to be among the hundreds of people daily who get stopped and loosing a £100+ Leatherman is heart braking. So please check you pockets and bags before flying.

Happy prepping.
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

What happens to all the stuff that get's confiscated? Do they have an auction I can get cheap stuff on?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

dangerman wrote:What happens to all the stuff that get's confiscated? Do they have an auction I can get cheap stuff on?
Thats a very good question mate, same query about Police lost property stuff, hmmm, I bet someone on here knows. :lol:
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

tanstaafl wrote:

Well the answer was 100% illegal ......silly but illegal

But the last post was interesting, but could vary from airport to airport..............

We often find these in people's wallets at the airport, however, despite them being a fixed blade knife, they are treated as non-locking knifes and so they are just confiscated, the police are never called for them. Even the one's will the little pull out blade are treated like non-lockers, in fact they often let the passenger keep them and take it on the plane with him. The law is the law but most people don't understand it or misinterpret it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I went on Eurostar a few years ago and my hand luggage was emptied out and searched - after it was over I asked why (I don't fit any profile and, um, I didn't have a bomb with me) and the officer said that on the X ray machine my bag showed up as very square, very precise. In other words, I'd packed so neatly, it looked like I'd made a bomb! My umbrella looked like it was part of it, too ... I was amazed :D very interesting tho.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

tanstaafl wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:

Well the answer was 100% illegal ......silly but illegal

But the last post was interesting, but could vary from airport to airport..............

We often find these in people's wallets at the airport, however, despite them being a fixed blade knife, they are treated as non-locking knifes and so they are just confiscated, the police are never called for them. Even the one's will the little pull out blade are treated like non-lockers, in fact they often let the passenger keep them and take it on the plane with him. The law is the law but most people don't understand it or misinterpret it.
Again, this gives me angst. Why make laws that are so ill thought through and then justify it by saying 'the law is the law'? Surely that's why the powers of discretion used to be given to each individual police officer. If the officer can see that no crime is being committed, and that common sense show that it's not likely/possible to, why not just say that?

This is my biggest problem with the whole structure of the authorities. Like what was said on the other post, a failed 'attitude' test combined with this little credit card multi-tool can now apparently land good people locked up in a cell.
londonercsecse

Post by londonercsecse »

Got a Lansky, a swiss army knife and a gerber multitool with me in the boot always. In the pocket of my shooting/fishing jacket and the tool box I have in the car. My big knives are sitting at home, beacuse of the law in this country. Just plain stupid.