Credit card knifes, Airport security beware!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
tanstaafl

Re: Credit card knifes, Airport security beware!

Post by tanstaafl »

Devonian wrote:But they are not even legal as EDC as they are a 'Fixed Blade'.

Doesn't matter how small they are, they are still a fixed blade and so therefore shouldn't be carried.

EDC needs to be a folder (Non-locking, sub 3")

Not quite correct Devonian, you may carry a fixed blade in the UK if you have reason to do so, so sitting fishing by the river its OK to have a fixed blade but shopping in tesco probably not :D , there are no fixed rules tho, its down to the officer at the time so gets a little grey, on a train in the bottom of your ruck on the way to a hiking trip would probably be OK ..........................but might not be................. :D , so although very few can EDC a fixed blade someone who lives or works in certain trades could do so................................

Rearfang wrote:Not only a knife but could be classed as a concealed weapon
I have one ok for buttering a roll but fairly useless as a prep a decent legal edc pocket knife is far more use
Again not correct, there is no concealed carry law in the UK, pop over to british blades forum and they have great sections on the law............

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... he-Law-FAQ

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... ted-issues

Also on the subject at hand leatherman do a multitool without a blade which is made specifically for aircraft travel

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Style_PS

cheers :D
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

metatron wrote:......

I really wish airports would profile people, so there were less silly rules.
could not possibly do that old chap not pc don't ya know, so they piss everyone off instead.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

tanstaafl wrote: Not quite correct Devonian, you may carry a fixed blade in the UK if you have reason to do so, so sitting fishing by the river its OK to have a fixed blade but shopping in tesco probably not :D , there are no fixed rules tho, its down to the officer at the time so gets a little grey, on a train in the bottom of your ruck on the way to a hiking trip would probably be OK ..........................but might not be................. :D , so although very few can EDC a fixed blade someone who lives or works in certain trades could do so................................
OK yes, I may have simplified it a little, but even in your example, a tradesman who can justify an a fixed blade for 'work purposes' can still not justify carrying the same fixed blade whilst walking the dog in the evening 'after work'...

It like saying Jansman is a butcher and needs his fixed blades, but he doesn't need them away from the butchery so they are certainly not EDC.

But yes I agree a fixed blade can be carried/used with 'just reason' ;)

A swiss card however is unlikely to ever meet that justification...
metatron

Post by metatron »

Devonian wrote:
tanstaafl wrote: Not quite correct Devonian, you may carry a fixed blade in the UK if you have reason to do so, so sitting fishing by the river its OK to have a fixed blade but shopping in tesco probably not :D , there are no fixed rules tho, its down to the officer at the time so gets a little grey, on a train in the bottom of your ruck on the way to a hiking trip would probably be OK ..........................but might not be................. :D , so although very few can EDC a fixed blade someone who lives or works in certain trades could do so................................
OK yes, I may have simplified it a little, but even in your example, a tradesman who can justify an a fixed blade for 'work purposes' can still not justify carrying the same fixed blade whilst walking the dog in the evening 'after work'...

It like saying Jansman is a butcher and needs his fixed blades, but he doesn't need them away from the butchery so they are certainly not EDC.

It really does depend, I need to open at least 8 boxes of electronics a day, some of which will just be in a taped box, others wrapped in bubble wrap and packaging tape and some in blister packaging. I travel up and down the country working for companies, university, public sector and other places doing IT related work, I carry a gerber EAB Pocket Knife most the time, as I can change out the blade, its folding/small and locks making it safe to use. I've been stopped walking back to a B&B and even been doing work for the police with it on me and in use. My reason that I need it for work and I'm not going home for three days has been seen as good enough.

I'd say what the knife looks like has a part to play, if its tactical looking it gets a look more negative glares.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

metatron wrote:
Devonian wrote:

It really does depend, I need to open at least 8 boxes of electronics a day, some of which will just be in a taped box, others wrapped in bubble wrap and packaging tape and some in blister packaging. I travel up and down the country working for companies, university, public sector and other places doing IT related work, I carry a gerber EAB Pocket Knife most the time, as I can change out the blade, its folding/small and locks making it safe to use. I've been stopped walking back to a B&B and even been doing work for the police with it on me and in use. My reason that I need it for work and I'm not going home for three days has been seen as good enough.

I'd say what the knife looks like has a part to play, if its tactical looking it gets a look more negative glares.

I agree when i got pulled over on my way to work for a spot check

(bit more to it but once i spoke to the copper he was happy i had done nothing wrong)

i immediately told the copper on getting out the car i had a multitool on my belt and lifted my jumper to show it and asked if he wanted to hold it till we had finished to which he replied

"your not planning on sticking it im me are you?" then laughed and told me not to worry and that i was obviously had it with me for a reason (going to and from work)

So in context (i was in work clothing going to work) and are not waving it about like rambo they are not overly bothered...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I often argue with my wife in these subjects - at the end of the day, even legal carry knives can get you into bother with the plod. It's all really down to the discretion of the bobby in question. This is what worries me, because the credit card knife that I'm thinking of is a bit of a grey area. It doesn't have a locking mechanism as such, just a little plastic nobble that the metal blade sits on. I've shaved mine off with another knife just in case, but when it is held in hand it fixes just with your grip. So is it still a fixed blade?

The plod could choose to confiscate it if they chose. They could also go much further. That would be fair enough if one is seen to be a menace or a risk, but what worries me is the law has the ability (and sometimes the inclination) to give a good person a very bad day regardless of actual risk. I don't like that. It makes me fearful of the police.

What about those little credit card multi-tools? They technically have a fixed blade. Are they just as dodgy?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Mostly with coppers it about the attitude test, pass it and everything is fine, fail and look out for the fine and jail cell. Obviously does not apply to serious crime.
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Attitude test. Tyranny, innit.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

if I call you an Idiot is that tyranny or failing the attitude test by being rude. If I call you officer and be polite is that Tyranny or Good Manners?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

dangerman wrote:
What about those little credit card multi-tools? They technically have a fixed blade. Are they just as dodgy?

Yep fixed blade any size, myself and another knife collector did a little experiment at work, we showed people 2 knives, one the world legal lansky and the other the spyderco ladybug and asked which was legal to EDC, everyone as you can guess thought the hulking Lansky was the illegal one....( its a monster, its more dangerous as a blunt force object than as a knife :D ) , everyone was surprised that the spydy was illegal......................

Image Image
Last edited by tanstaafl on Sun May 10, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.