Computer?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
zer0her0

Computer?

Post by zer0her0 »

Hello. Wondering if people generally think a computer is of any use? I can currently see both sides of the coin. I mean, one could easily assume it'd be for standalone use only in the worst case scenario i.e. the NET is down. Then of course you'd need to generate juice for it. Am currently thinking it may come in handy but I'd want to have something decent I could program. I currently have a selection: Android, Windows, Raspberry Pi but am uncertain what the 'best' platform may be ie. the most tried & trusted? There again my BOB is relatively small and this would necessitate generation too so would require a major expansion. I like a small BOB as, through experience, I have found it may be necessary to be moving at high speed on occasions...thanks for any thoughts. 0.
Plymtom

Re: Computer?

Post by Plymtom »

Skills and resources are priceless, computers can store such a wealth of information from an e-reader/Kindle/tablet and upwards in size, there are some things I don't want to learn bit I want the how to book on everything I can lay hands on, you can have a Tablet, a solar charger, and a few memory cards, and be carrying tons worth of books with you with less weight than a couple of tins of beans.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Yip What he said ^^^^^

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

I'd have to agree with Plymton. some form of e reader and memory cards over a laptop. Just for the weight and size advantage and it doesn't all have to be how to do stuff. I'd say it's at least as important to have something along just to read for the sake of your sanity, the odds are internet will be at best unreliable in any situation that requires the use of a BoB and very few of us will be able to watch Family Fortunes, so reading becomes even more important, just my opinion. Go to save up for something else now :(
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Both the KObo and Nook e readers can be of use to the prepper and can often be found at reduced prices. A useful piece of free software to down load is Calibre e book management soft ware. it will convert ebooks between formats. Be aware that publishers protect their wares withb DRM software. This means that you cannot read books from the kindle store on a kobo or nook . research is the answer to all challenges
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

I was lucky enough to get a Kindle Voyage off Santa, I absolutely LOVE it! It can store thousands of books and says it can last 6 weeks on a single charge based on 30mins reading per day with the wifi off and the front-light set at 10 (about half of full brightness). It would be readable with the light set lower than this, and I expect that would mean it would last even longer. I reckon that could get you pretty far...
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I have one of the first kindles that came out being an avid reader, i had literally run out of space to keep my books and didn't have room for another bookcase. I now only have paper books that are either reference, crafting, cooking or educational. One full charge will last for around 3 months and I read every night. Just remember to turn the WiFi off as that really does drain the power! Mine isn't backlit/mini tablet version so my cover has an integrated light that I can pull up if I'm somewhere with no lamp.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Surely this depends on what you're planning for. Everything that has been thrown at the UK so far would promote the humble laptop to a diamond of a tool. Should a war break out and should we be evacuated etc, we could use the laptop and memory drives/cards to store information that we acquire and would like to reference. If something less so, like we have a flooded home or unrest in our local area, then taking a laptop would allow you to keep in touch with the rest of the world - free wi-fi is everywhere. Use it for news, entertainment, documentation, advice (here). I'd be using it to keep the kids amused too, which could prove invaluable if you want to be a good guest when someone is putting you up.

Of course, if you're planning to be abandoned on the top of a volcano or something then it's overkill. Realistically I think they're an invaluable and a simultaneously expendable luxury.

I've got two - no three - very good quality laptops in my household and I take my personal one with me everywhere in the car or on the motorcycle. When traveling away from home I travel light and just bring my smartphone and my Asus Fonepad (a tablet with phone capability).

My obsession with solar power, batteries and inverters is largely due to keeping my laptop/tablets/smartphones functional.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
zer0her0

Post by zer0her0 »

Hi All! Thanks very much everyone for the learned replies! A bit to think about there. I like the idea of e-books but I also like my original idea of having something I can develop on a little more. Generally (hope this is not off-topic) I am thinking its always going to be a trade-off between what you can easily carry and set up and what your exact needs are. With regard to needs I am thinking in terms of scales from 'house burning down' to 'total apocalypse' scenarios. So with these two goal posts possibly always moving I guess computers and all kinds of kit discussions could be endless! Right now I am thinking of one small BOB and a bigger one - for those different scales. Anyhow, I do really like the idea of E-books and will give that some more thought at least. Cheers All. BTW - I am a newbie here (in case you can't tell)...so apologies if I state the 'obvious'! :) 0.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Today's tablets have replaced laptops for most people anyway - they have wifi and internet should that be around post-whatever, as well as being able to be used to read books, watch films/tv programs and listen to music. And even, if you have to, Crush Candy! And their electricity requirements are far lower than even a notebook yet alone a laptop. For most people "programmable" is not a requirement, ease of use, reliability and battery length are more important. Don't underestimate the use of these items for non-internet related entertainment - I would caution people not to rely on Spotify and Netflix alone because if the electricity goes, or the internet goes, you don't have a major source of entertainment you're used to. Always have a goodly stock of physical media or preferably physical files to allow local playback.

That said, I have a couple of notebooks for this purpose myself :D Large internal hard drives to store books, music and films, programmable (because it's my job!), solar powered leccy supplies, large batteries, small and light. And I also have a Kindle and iPods because redundancy is good! I run Linux on one and MacOS on the other (because I can and because it's my job!), I'd say run whatever platform works best for you. The key, as you say, is about having an alternate source of electricity if you're prepping for a major, lengthy outage.

P.S. I love the "the worst case scenario i.e. the NET is down" ;) Has the internet become so vital to our lives?
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb