buying your survival gear £100 spare

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
bow

buying your survival gear £100 spare

Post by bow »

so if you was just starting out, and got a spare £100, what would you get and where from??

tbo its overwhelming, not got a clue what to get, i know i need to look at what's around here already..

fire starter kit
550 cord bracelet , just been browsing the web , it all adds up fast ,, any known cheaper sites to go looking on?? any help would be greatly received.

i was an avid sea fisherman , still with all the gear..
Wulfshead

Re: buying your survival gear £100 spare

Post by Wulfshead »

To be honest I believe in a 'start to fuel momentum'
I have seen this happen, prep wise, with my son and son-in-law once I got them to buy a BOB.
Right, a BOB may not be initially ideal if you plan to bug-in but it does act as storage where your £100 worth of kit is in one place and ready at hand.
I have found that once the BOB is obtained then content is soon added and the mind begins to work on other future supplies over storage area maths.

So right there you have my 1st vote for kit from your £100, a decent BOB.
Another thing to do is learn the cheats.
I could buy wet-fire fire starters but for a fraction of the price I bought from a £ shop a large tub of petroleum jelly and a large bag of large cotton wool balls.
The new firer starters I made are kept waterproof in sealable sandwhich bags and thus save me money.
Do indeed buy a ferro rod but there are other means of starting fire.
I use one of my wife's diabetic testing strip containers with the red non-safety matches held stationary inside by cotton wool. Any watertight plastic container with a watertight lid would do but don't forget to glue some abrasive paper to the base of the container for striking.
I get 50 + matches in there and all for a fraction of what all-weather matches cost.

There are many, many tips to make £100 stretch a long way and these forum pages are full of them.
Don't get bogged down with the need to have it all yesterday, bit by bit is the best way and in doing so you become comfortable with each item of kit and the scenarios in which you imagine using them.

Wulfshed
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Long term food supplies; Bottled water; Water Filter (Sawyer mini); batteries; Led Cree Torch; Thermal base layers; Gas stove and spare gas cartridges; matches; candles; first aid supplies............

Not really sure what you expect to do with a paracord bracelet?

As for a Fire Starter Kit, are you planning on living in the wild like Grizzly Adams?

Basically before you start spending money, think seriously about what you are prepping for. Is it realistic for you and 65M other Brits to bug out to Wales or the Scottish Highlands......
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I agree with Devonian - we're not living on the American frontier in 1860, we're (generally) in urban or peri-urban areas with little wilderness around us.

I'd ensure I had adequate access to water and the means to make it safe for drinking. This might include buying bottled water, getting some 25l jerry cans from the camping store, a water butt outside, and filters and puritabs.

Then I'd be looking at long-term food storage.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

What are you prepping for?

Before spending write a list

Think everyday problems

House fires smoke alarms fire extinguisher fire blanket

Power cuts /loss of water or gas torches lantern batteries alternative cooking stuff

Flooding

Car accidents and breakdown s
Last edited by Yorkshire Andy on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
bow

Post by bow »

thanks all , if we had a thanks button i would use it ,, wulf, great tips on the matches + BOB you sir opened my eyes big time , thanks for that ,, you all helped really and made me laugh ,, i felt like Rambo looking for things,

Not really sure what you expect to do with a paracord bracelet?

uum just in case i get ,, ok you win i give up i'm a noob at this mun lol

As for a Fire Starter Kit, are you planning on living in the wild like Grizzly Adams?

pmsl i'll get my coat then,,, lol

..i was jumping in head first,, shhhh first prep is a crossbow lol , before you start , Grizzly Adams? ffs lol, i live in wales out in the sticks, and have lots of space for practice .. this is xmas gift from the wife.. i like my .22 pistol and use it, .. not insane person!!. honest.

but yea i see where you are all coming from, and will take on board. and it has made me step back and think a bit more,.. cheers for that gents..

good advice on the weather , i have plenty of buckets , need to look in to filters ..

cree torch on my list

off to the BOB section , for a another eye opener me thinks .. i will be chuckling all day now you bastard.. love it.

ooooohh i am prepping for ,, the fun of it?? is that an answer, i can't see zobbies happening, money going tits up i suppose ,, or when people have had enough of the government , , i honestly don't know , .

and i will get on with a list , for sure ..
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Just take time to think about what is important and yes a list is always a good idea.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And try a bit of "roll play" or practice/ rehearsal / thinking about it...

Wait till dark go flick off the consumer unit.... You now have a power cut........ See how you get on trying to find a torch and say cooking a meal....

Or

3am in the morning and there is a fire down stairs would your smoke alarm wake you? Test it! how do you get everyone out can you find the front door key?

What if the smoke traps you in your room can you escape safely / contact the fire service

Your in a shopping centre and there's an incident how do you find an emergency exit?

Sometime prepping is free and just a mind set....

Leaving the front door key out of sight on the table near the door for example

Or having the bedroom window key to hand so you can open the window
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
bow

Post by bow »

thanks again this place just keeps giving, superb tips in this thread its invaluable for me,, i have a confession lol the mrs snores like a Dyson sucks the dust ,, i sleep with ear plugs in, i can't hear shit when kipping,,, i need to change this and start paying more attention to detail.. can this be done? lol hope so, i should try getting hypnotized or something ..

thinking now i need to secure the house a bit more ,, something like adding a gate to my garden should do the trick for the time being..

i will try to devout sunday as my prepping day , sorry him up stairs but church will have to wait ..

once again i can't thank you all for the help and top tips ..
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

bow wrote:thanks again this place just keeps giving, superb tips in this thread its invaluable for me,, i have a confession lol the mrs snores like a Dyson sucks the dust ,, i sleep with ear plugs in, i can't hear shit when kipping,,, i need to change this and start paying more attention to detail.. can this be done? lol hope so, i should try getting hypnotized or something ..
This made me laugh :D but you have my sympathies! Do you have one of those alarm clocks that flashes, as well as makes a noise? Maybe a fire alarm could do that ...
thinking now i need to secure the house a bit more ,, something like adding a gate to my garden should do the trick for the time being..
A gate is a good start! Real life prepping is usually about getting the ordinary safeguards in place first, like CO2 alarms, fire blankets, access to the water stopcock, insulation and yes, garden gates! And a side gate to the back garden, if you're in a semi.
i will try to devout sunday as my prepping day , sorry him up stairs but church will have to wait ..

once again i can't thank you all for the help and top tips ..
I'm sure him upstairs would rather you looked after the survival of yourself and your family. Hope it goes well!