Just Tents

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pitchshifter

Re: Just Tents

Post by pitchshifter »

Oh man, Devonian now has me hankering after one of those Slumit Gobi tents.

I've decided that when the weather warms up next year it's time to take the Husband camping. My dream tent is... a tent that is small and light when packed (for hiking to a good spot), has a sewn-in ground sheet, is a roomy 3 man when erect ( ;) ) and is quick and easy to put up/take down. The Slumit Gobi is probably the closest I've seen to that so far.
munchh

Post by munchh »

I have a beach shelter that is very similar, its very good, its just a shame the gobl needs pegging out at the front?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

I've seen Khyam tents with a similar quick-pitch system to the Slumit, but I think they all need pegging out to some degree. The Igloo looks pretty similar to the Gobi and still needs the porch area pegging out:

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=334&product=Igloo
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I've got a Sunshelter/Fishing Bivvy thing that is ok for summer overnighters but not particularly great otherwise. Also a 4-man 2-berth tent that is very nice with great facilities but it's just far too big for me to use and set-up on my own :|

I'd like to get a decent one-man tent just for myself but my funds don't come anywhere meeting the needs of my wants-list :(
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
munchh

Post by munchh »

OK, i have ended up with alot of tents, here are a few of the relivant ones and my thoughts.....(some of these are stock pics, not mine)

This is me trying some things with a 3x3 DDhammocks tarp, i was really pleased how you could set it up as a tent and it has more than enough room for 2 plus your gear.

I picked up one of these at a booty, one person, £5 so had to try it, it have a bug net door also, but its only single skin so i could imagine you may have some condensation problems, although it packs down very small, i like that the door is along the side which makes it easy to get into, but if it was raining as soon as you open the door you and everything would be getting wet!

The Polish Lavvu, very cheap, bomb proof, canvas is so nice to sleep under and you can use it near an open fire, ive had some really nice nights in this, for one person and gear i would say everyone should have one, but its not the lightest.

This is an older 4 man ridge, there is also a fly/rain sheet that goes on it, still great for a small family, again it only cost me a couple of quid so had to have a look.

This is a 3 man, from Lidl a few years back, ive only used it in the garden with the kids, but its a nice size, easy to put up, with the front and side doors.

This is getting into the backpacking type tents, they dont make this anymore, says its 2 man, but you would need to be pretty close mates, even with the vestibules either side is really a big one man and your gear.

Dutch Army tent, just brilliant, again canvas is so nice, nice and dark to sleep in and you can use it near a fire no problem, i like this alot and have used it loads.

I bought this in the summer and have yet to try it, but its 2 man, i like the way the door is along the long side, will be interesting to try, the inner tent will also work in the pod on my caravan awning, so thats a plus.

The next few are because of my thinking that if you are looking for a bugout or SHTF type shelter, it needs to stand up on its own, so you can put it up in a carpark or even a flat roof....

Gelert Monsoon 4, managed to pick this up for £25, very lucky, the way the poles are it doesn't not need to be pegged out, its only 4 beth, but if you only put one bedroom up its a massive 2-3 man, with a huge living area, but i have no problem knowing if i needed to i would get all 5 of us in here no problem. Although i have since seen the Gelert family dome 4, which is a little lower so would hold up to winds a bit better.

This is my favorite find sofar, its an Esquina solo. i paid £30 for this, i did find another, but it went on ebay for over £100, they dont make these anymore which is a real shame as it fits most of my thinking, it stands up on its own, one up you can pick it up and move it, the inner stays attached. its just brilliant, here are a few other pics.

So with this same thinking, i have been searching for others with the same design, this is what i have come up with......

Coleman Phad
i cant remember which one it is they have stopped making, but they also do these in 2 man versions, they both sell for around £150 in the 3 man versions.
Coleman Tatra
This is new, Vango Sierra 300 around £120, i'd like to get my hands on one.

The only problem with all of these last ones is if i'm going camping in the woods and we have a fire, i will need to be sure to have my tent away from it, i am working out a canvas cover for the Esquina as i really want to use this alot more, but then it will be heavier and i may as well take the Lavvu?
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Sparkyy

Post by Sparkyy »

A mate of mine has a vango inflatable one which is hugely impressive and influenced me to buy a caravan awning the same which has been brilliant, maybe worth a look at the vango and I've seen Berghaus are making them now too although I've not see on in use the vango tent was superb as has been the awning. In fact my Christmas present (to myself) was a smaller vango blow up awning for short wet weekends to act as a boot room/dog feeding area when it's too cold for the kids to sit in the awning.
munchh

Post by munchh »

My brother has one, the need alot of pegging out, i also like poles as they are easy to replace, i was very impressed with my brothers, they are just not for me.
AREA 3
Sparkyy

Post by Sparkyy »

munchh wrote:My brother has one, the need alot of pegging out, i also like poles as they are easy to replace, i was very impressed with my brothers, they are just not for me.

I've had the awning up with 2 pegs for a weekend :D I'd just started to peg out when one of the kids needed me and then forgot :o only realised when I was taking it down again :shock: from the reading I've done you can get new air poles if needed or repair them the same as a puncture anyway after 12 months heavy use the awning is still going strong with no issues at all, doddle to put up/take down on your own and no poles to javelin the caravan :shock: as happen to next door last month with strong winds
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Not so sure on air tube tents having seen this
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/dis ... Position=1

Not a fibreglass pole fan after a windy bank holiday

Steel poled for me for big tents
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've got an old (30 odd years) Beaufort 2 tent that's still fantastic, its allegedly a two man tent but you'd struggle to fit 2 'generously proportioned' fellows in. Aluminium poles and a ridge tent, its that old I can't find any pictures of them online but it folds down to an acceptable size to stick on the outside of a rucksack. I've had plenty of 'adventures' in this tent over the years, some I'll keep to myself. :lol: