tarp size

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Big Bear

tarp size

Post by Big Bear »

Me again.

Looking for a tarp to be used for shelter purposes. Do you guys have a rule of thumb for a size.
I have came across 7x7 , 7x10, 7x13.

Don't want one that will be too big

Cheers.
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
piglet

Re: tarp size

Post by piglet »

Suppose it depends what you want it for?

I am a bit of a hiker and consequently prefer lightweight...... and although I try to avoid having to spend any nights under the stars these days, I have one of these, for longer outings

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/all-weather-shelter

For shorter walks I use one of those Ripstop Ponchos that doubles as a Tarp and can be bought from numerous ebay sellers.

Both of these takes up minimal space in my rucksack.
ain't settlin'
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Have a look at DD Tarp's, good quality and pack down small.

I always think 3m x 3m is a good versatile size.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

I've got a ripstop british military basha, about 2.5mx1.5m in my get home bag in the van, loads of uses, attach cordage or bungee at various points and its a good shelter, same concept as a tarp really but a bit more lightweight. I also have an american poncho liner as an emergency sleeping bag (its has ties on the corners and can be used as a makeshift sleeping bag or just wrapped round you).

Both are lightweight and thats the aim of all my gear I travel with, if I might have to carry it then its got to be light as possible (even though it lives in the van mostly).
janso

tarp size

Post by janso »

+1 for. DD hammocks 3x3 tarp; much better options than an issue bivi/ basha. However they are probably slightly dearer...

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
neverready

Post by neverready »

Another DD 3x3 user here but to be fair, the thing is pretty big. It certainly helps to shelter a hammock but I feel I could manage with something smaller.

I also have a Grabber space blanket which is soon to be part of a smaller kit. Going by the Grabber website these are 7'x5'. I have yet to try it out in anger but after trying a few set ups in the garden it seems to be ok size wise especially if happy with a lean to style shelter.
Area 5.

Looking for woodland for gear testing/overnighters ;)
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Thanks guys
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
munchh

Post by munchh »

Ive got both, military and DD 3x3, the 3x3 can make some great ground shelters, if I had to only take one it would be my brown DD 3x3.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
1234Alive

Post by 1234Alive »

I'm in the 3x3 DD camp too. Made some decent tarp tents with it.