Lansky World-Legal Knife

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Trawlerman

Re: Lansky World-Legal Knife

Post by Trawlerman »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:@Trawlerman
Let us know what you choose and what you think having used it for a bit.

The LANSKY is ordered now from Amazon. It was little bit cheaper than HH and I already had an account with Amazon so it was a one-click order. Looking forward to getting it now. I'll be sure to give a good testing and let you know what I think. I'm no expert on knives as such but this one looks decent enough for every day jobs and is UK legal which is the ain thing for me.
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
munchh

Post by munchh »

dont really like the tactical looking stuff, but the reviews and videos look good, but while looking at this I came across the Schrade Imperial Sodbuster, old style looking and under £10?
I sent edcgear a mail asking about the blade they say "its high carbon stainless" so I might go for that.
http://edcgear.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp ... ode=IMP22Y
They have a range they list as UK legal, but I recon as has been said before, unless you have a good reason, having a knife in your pocket will never go down well.
I like a pocket knife and carry one in a leather fob so its not like its quick to get out. :?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

£9.90 delivered, nice.
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
xfilion

Post by xfilion »

I looked at the Lansky but, like a few people on this thread, was put off by its size. Unfortunately, due to the draconian knife laws in this country, we tend to be scuppered on carrying, what I would term, an effective EDC carry. If you are only going to be using a folder, unfortunately the best are locking. However, I do agree that if you do need to carry a knife then its a Swiss army or a UK legal penknife is the only option.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

xfilion wrote:I looked at the Lansky but, like a few people on this thread, was put off by its size. Unfortunately, due to the draconian knife laws in this country, we tend to be scuppered on carrying, what I would term, an effective EDC carry. If you are only going to be using a folder, unfortunately the best are locking. However, I do agree that if you do need to carry a knife then its a Swiss army or a UK legal penknife is the only option.
For me, the problem with the Lansky is the width of the knife, it's a really chunky beast.

Just looking at the pictures you can see that with a 3" long blade, the width or height of the blade is therefore about 2" (ish) and this is also reflected in the handle. The blade really doesn't need to be as thick, it serves no real purpose and this also makes the handle uncomfortable to use and hold.

As for EDC, it really depends where you are, I have no issue carrying around the Liong Mah at work, home (or in the general area), out walking the dogs, out in the woods etc etc, but I would not carry it (or any blade) in pub, or restaurant or shopping centre etc.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Those of you who like something slimmer than the Lansky may like to look at the Byrd Tern UK legal folder, its a sub company of Spyderco I think?? I bought one on the advice of a lad on another forum and I really like it.

http://www.heinnie.com/byrdtern
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

munchh wrote:Image

£9.90 delivered, nice.

Looks nice :-) I may pick one up at some point seeing as they're cheap enough.
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
munchh

Post by munchh »

I am really impressed, it feels good in your hand and its big enough that none of my hand is on the blade (for my hand anyway), the blade is way big enough that it will be very usable for everyday whittling :D
AREA 3
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The Number 6 is the serrated version but I'm pretty sure that's not UK legal because of the serrations. I may be wrong and stand to be corrected.
Serrations make no difference :D to be UK legal (may be carried with no reason) it must be sub 3" cutting edge and non locking.........

The Svord Peasant has been subject to some discussion as it could be looked at as a fixed blade with a rotating sheath ( nice knife tho)

Go here http://www.fasttech.com/category/1901/k ... r-survival very cheap but Chinese knives and the Sanrenmus in particular are highly regarded these days (pay extra for malay post tho or it will take ages)

Here are a few I have had

Numbers 2 and 4 (counting from top left) and the last 3 are all uk legal (No.2 with a bit of blade taken off) and the last 3 are all sub £5 delivered, these knives are coming out of the same factories as some well known brands such as Spyderco and the fit and finish is excellent. :D

A workmate just took delivery of the lansky, and says he finds it too big, he has big hands as well :D
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

tanstaafl wrote: A workmate just took delivery of the lansky, and says he finds it too big, he has big hands as well :D
I totally agree, it's actually a stupid knife, badly designed, but with a great marketing spin and a cheap price.