Any Archers?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Smudge

Any Archers?

Post by Smudge »

Wifey picked me up a lil something today at a local charity shop a longbow of all things, I'll be adding a youtube video later tonight.

From what I can make it, it's a vintage bow (at least the makers name would suggest so) it measures 69" end to end/ 66" notch to notch.

I wondered what the markings mean exactly, I know it relates to the draw weight and length ect but looking for more exact information than my guess work.

Thanks in advance, not sure if I'm going to keep and practice with this or sell it on.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Wulfshead

Re: Any Archers?

Post by Wulfshead »

I'd hazard a guess based on my crossbow interest,

42 Lb is the draw weight,
5' 9" = 5 foot and 9 inches is the length
28" = 28 inches, which I would assume is the arrow length or draw length.

The last two I am not 100% on but I'm pretty sure on the 1st point. Lots of longbows are around the 50 Lb draw weight.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Wulfshead.

EDIT, just measured my draw and I would need an arrow of just over 28 inches and I have an arm length of 30 & 1/4 inches from top of shoulder joint to extended middle finger tip.
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Cheer's wulf pretty much what I thought, do you happen to know anything regarding string lengths? I have a lot of questions :D

Stuff I'm finding online is a little confusing :oops:

If no joy I'll join an archery forum and get the info, just thought it might make for some useful info here if anyone knows.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Sorry Smudge,
I was just getting around to longbows when I had my accident stopping me from getting really into them.

I think it's a bow forum for you unless a forum member here can jump to your aid.

I just had a quick google and these folk may be able to help you, hope they can.

http://www.towton.org.uk/longbow-tradit ... tial-arts/

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

When we got some bows donated to the scouts I found the easiest way was to contact a seller on eBay that made them and gave them the bow lengths and a quick description of each bow and they made one up for each bow I then marked up each bow with it's string length for future replacement.
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Well I contacted Merlin Archery, they adviced me on which string (type/length) they'd recommend funnily enough not the most expensive which I've since ordered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cli8ZCxxug

I've done a lil research and several have sold over the last few years from £80 upwards, so for the right price this will probably go.
1234Alive

Post by 1234Alive »

GNAS Archery Leader. Not done it for a few months so need to get some practice in at some point.