My New Tarp

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

My New Tarp

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My new tarp from argos...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 948556.htm

seems very adaptable from the reviews ive seen from a basha to a tent extension to a car boot cover...

it comes with 3 steel poles which are not the lightest but give you the option to vary the height

this is 2 poles high

and then 3

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
butterbean

Re: My New Tarp

Post by butterbean »

very nice
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

and a few other pics from the web of them in use...

SoCal92057

Post by SoCal92057 »

I always purchase dark green, brown or forest camo tarps. In fact, my field gear is all dark green, brown, black or forest camo.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Like most of my preps I try to get them to be multi functional the local Argos only had that colour left but it will match my big tent when we go family camping and even if pitched up in the wild you won't look like a renegade SAS deserter or a prepped as a few have said on here a army rucksack can draw unwanted attention

preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Hi, I find tarps essential parts of my preps, I keep a couple I bought in the US in the back of my vehicle they are made from a ripstop material so if I snag the tarp it does not tear much, I also keep a couple at home along with polyprop rope and elasticated rope for emergency repairs to property.
SoCal92057

Post by SoCal92057 »

I recall backpacking and camping with a friend in a forested area. We made a point of having our gear be green, brown, black or camouflage in color. We established a camp site consisting of 2 small and low tents, about 10 yards off a trail. During daylight hours, we watched in amazement as about a dozen hikers walked past us and never noticed our camp site nor us. We simply sat quietly as we heard them approach and noted the hikers were looking down due to the irregular terrain. As straight lines do not exist in nature, if we had been interested in improving our camouflage we would have added some cut vegetation to break up the outlines of our tents. I can never understand why people buy brightly colored tents unless they are concerned with becoming lost and want the tent to be seen by a rescue party.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Mally

Post by Mally »

That's the general principle behind the bright colours. It's generally been accepted that any colour will do below the tree line but your khakis, browns etc are preffered so as to blend in but above the tree line bright colours are used so that they can easily be spotted in an emergency, or by leaders and assessors who may be monitoring them or if they become benighted.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bit of a catch 22 granted but say middle of winter pouring with rain broken down on the motorway

Grab car bag ring recovery / highways agency...

Pitch tarp 20/30ft up the embankment safe and dry whilst awaiting rescue then get a brew on ;)

Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Bit of a catch 22 granted but say middle of winter pouring with rain broken down on the motorway

Grab car bag ring recovery / highways agency...

Pitch tarp 20/30ft up the embankment safe and dry whilst awaiting rescue then get a brew on ;)
Good idea!! I like that, the traffic will also slow down just to be nosy which makes it safer :D but are you allowed to pitch up and brew on the embankment??
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.