Wouldn't be without it?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Plymtom

Wouldn't be without it?

Post by Plymtom »

Judicatr's Quality V Quantity thread had me thinking, we all talk of EDC/GHB/ BoBs but for all of us surely there are a certain few " wouldn't be without it" items, I'm not talking watches, I'm not talking bloody i-phones or other electronics, I have a bum bag type thing I wear it frontwards, but when I get home out comes the penknife even though every room has something like scissors/knives etc in, and I wear a laser pointer/led torch on a lanyard all the time when at home (largely to play/control cats)
So what's yours? some of us no doubt carry a lot around even at home, or can put a hand on a torch ( or something defensive) wherever they happen to be in the house, I take a bag full of tricks to bed every night, some of it because I convince myself I may need it, some of it just because I want it nearby knowing I'll probably not need it ever in the bedroom :lol:
Mine are Penknife, Lighter,( and I am a 15 year non smoker) and keys
Last edited by Plymtom on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Quercus-robur

Re: Wouldn't be without it?

Post by Quercus-robur »

I don't go anywhere without my Victorinox Pioneer;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Pion ... ox+pioneer

and my Zippo. I also have one of these scout cash capsules so I always have £20 with me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Brands-Sco ... ey+keyring

Whether I am in the house, work, out walking or if I was going to Bug Out, I always have at least three things with me even if I leave behind my usual EDC kit.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
bladefalcon

Post by bladefalcon »

Classic SAK, ciggy lighter and three metres of 550 on a bracelet...
Then I have other practical items in my EDC bag at most times, it's only 36l so prevents me loading it up with anything non essential! My entire shelter kit now fits in a single standard utility pouch and weighs about a kilo.
Cymru
(Area 12)
:)
hobo

Post by hobo »

SAK Champ, cash, credit card :)
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

hand cleaning wipes and lip balm. Neither of course will "get me home" in an emergency - but they both are things that boost my moral when I'm feeling stressed out.

In the handbag is always a torch and a lighter. Just knowing that they are always there is a huge comfort to me.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Paracord bracelet, boker xs knife, Uzi tactical pen (space pen cartridge, glass breaker and handcuff key model 6), cash, cards, bic lighter and a pair of Soho and pair of Bogota titanium picks.

Forgot the handkerchief and led torch on my key ring, doh.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Out I carry either an Opi or a UK-Legal, at home a tend to stick a fixed blade in my pocket
I EDC a lighter, but I've got some form of ignition in almost every 'slopping about' shirt
Theres normally at least one torch in every outfit.... And a couple in arms reach

Specific items? No, but blade/light/torch all the time
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
IfInDoubt

Post by IfInDoubt »

As inspired by my own signature block I always have a cutting device and a combustible on me when out and about, this usually manifests in the form of a SAK (and also in my wallet alone I have a pocket credit card survival tool a and a scalpel in foil (rule of three) and a Fresnel lens, book of matches and tiny ferocium rod (rule of three there too)

I don't tend to carry my wallet or EDC kit whilst chilling on my own property though, but I have a knife on me 99.9% of the time (less shower and bed I must stress).

so I think the one item I could not be without has to be a knife, there are days when I do not need a flame but I cant think of a day recently when I haven't needed a blade of some sort. fire would probably come much further down the list of items I actually use knife, torch etc etc...
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape
bladefalcon

Post by bladefalcon »

You mentioned Opinel. Is it true that they are UK legal (obviously blade length permitting)?

Sorry bit off topic I know, but I'd like to add a single blade and the French swear by them...
Cymru
(Area 12)
:)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yes and no

A standard Opi (from #6 on upwards) is a locking knife so you'd need 'Good Reason' (its my working knife so I can carry it to and from work, or when camping for examples)

You can remove the locking ring from one of the larger knives (remember that maximum uk-legal blade length is given as the measurement of the edge :? ), but I wouldn't recommend it....... I hate slip-joints with a passion and have the scars to prove it
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar