storing clothes

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pietka

storing clothes

Post by pietka »

Being a fairly new prepper i'm spending a hell of a lot of time researching various SHTF situations, but is it a wise idea to kind of stockpile t-shirts, socks and pants in the event that we are all tossed into complete chaos and theres no more avalible! I think that they can be used for bartering! I'm just after your advice and opinions? is there anyone else storing clothes? where can you get bulk buy clothes?
diamond lil

Re: storing clothes

Post by diamond lil »

What if you put on weight? :mrgreen: And you'd have to be very careful re moths/damp how you store them. But clothes might well get a lot dearer with one thing & another so yes why not.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

The problem with storing clothes as a barter item is that they are bulky and fairly heavy to move around (spoken by the chap who delivers clothes to a well known cheap clothes shop :D ) . I'm not saying they wouldnt be of use if a barter system ever evolved because they would, but it might be worth looking for items with less bulk and weight.

It's a good idea for a thread though.....what would be the best items to stockpile for bartering (other than basic food) ?
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

Stockpiling clothes is a good idea. Although I already have a lot of clothes, including items I've worn and have lasted for about 10 years! I look after them I guess.

You don't want to end up looking like Viggo Mortensen in The Road really, do you?... :D
The-Great-Nothing

storing clothes

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi

A good way to store clothes or any bulky fabric items (clothes, duvets etc) is vacuum packing.

I have used travel vacuum packing bags from Lakeland. Very good product. Very handy and reduces your storage space a lot.

Cheers

Matt
pietka

Post by pietka »

Cheers for the feedback! i have made a concious effort in buying clothes! i have picked up 20 pairs of thick socks from the market for a good price! I vacuum sealed them and stashed them! i know theyre bulky and theres waight to them but my BOL so to speak is only 2-3 miles from my house and has all the cover and space i need to store items for the bigger SHTF senarios! i got my sealer from lakeland but im using JML bags from ASDA £5 for 6m =)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

O yes because you'd have to be careful for moths. I wonder if I could swing that one past the OH..... Buy up all the nice wool I have drooled over and tell him its because we need to stockpile ! :twisted: That way you could knit socks/jumpers/gloves/hats etc to order as & when needed.
pietka

Post by pietka »

hmm knitting is a good idea i saw an advert for a magazine to learn to knit. Might be an idead to get the first few issues! do moths go for plastic clothes?
mikeandrod

Post by mikeandrod »

i have picked up 20 pairs of thick socks from the market for a good price! I vacuum sealed them and stashed them!
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the kind of clothes that might be good to store whether it's for personal use or bartering. If there was any sort of climate disaster the chances are that it would be warm clothes that we'd all need. Now's the time to buy long johns before the Winter stock is all gone :lol: At my BOL I've got fur-lined Russian boots, Russian hat and several pairs of skiing gloves but after reading this thread I think I might invest in some more spares...
counsellor

Post by counsellor »

If your're looking for really good kit (BUT IT COMES AT A PRICE ) look at solo international, it run by ex SAS guys
and I am sure if they haven't got what you want, they know a man who does :D