Rush 5.11 bag... new style in the UK?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
featherstick

Re: Rush 5.11 bag... new style in the UK?

Post by featherstick »

OK, I'm not ACTUALLY planning to mug anyone, but the whole tacticool thing is a bit beyond me. And it just seems to scream "I've got some tasty kit on me!". I use a variety of utterly ordinary bags for my kit, and they all work, as well as being substantially cheaper.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

featherstick wrote:OK, I'm not ACTUALLY planning to mug anyone, but the whole tacticool thing is a bit beyond me. And it just seems to scream "I've got some tasty kit on me!". I use a variety of utterly ordinary bags for my kit, and they all work, as well as being substantially cheaper.
I get it, I do have some less obvious looking 'camping' packs... but they just dont offer the ability to organise kit as well. Its not purely going to be a BOB anyway, a sort of get home bag / in the car Go bag sort of thing for keeping all my bits in.
I intend to be locked down in a farm house long before people start attacking people because they have a nice bag.
We're pretty civilised in the UK!
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I like the look of the 5.11 stuff and the maxpedition stuff, the little EDC bags for your pocket kit in particular appeal to me, and the organisation capability of the stuff is worth having even if you have to carry it in something else I suppose, plus if you're talking inconspicuous it does stop stuff rattling if it's nicely locked down, it's not simply prepping but bushcraft enthusiasts, survivalists, but the assumption that it would be attractive to thieves is fair comment and more so in bad times, it's probably worth discussing as a separate subject the security of using expensive and visible kit.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

I use the 5.11 rush 12 as my daily Ghb. It is great but not perfect but I am continually searching for the perfect bag! :o
I got mine from www.nightgear.co.uk (no connection ). They email 20% offers if you sign up on occasions and prices are okay.
Will try to get round to contents list to compare at some stage.
I used the 24 but kitted it too much for everyday carry. :roll:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

the Bag for Life concept is not far fetched, if you are following a grey man strategy. I would not even attempt let alone consider mugging anyone. Last thing you need is an injury when SHTF when WROL kicks off.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yes I agree don't go looking for trouble and trouble won't be looking for you as they say in Hobbit land, but yes if attacked in that situation you can be pretty sure no one is going to take it lying down.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
J23

Post by J23 »

lonewolf wrote:
Troutman wrote:
featherstick wrote:When TSHTF, and I'm trying to get home, I'm mugging the first guy I see with these and putting all the kit I plunder from the bag into my Sainsburys bag for life!"
When trying to get home your plan is to attack someone who probably has weapons and is expecting to be attacked? Seems like a dodgy plan for self preservation!
you hear of lots of people these days who's idea of "prepping" is to mug the first person they see after TSHTF?? I just hope they are prepared for the consequences.
This guy was just ironic, but he's right. Why advertising that you're a prepper?
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

There does seem to be a bit of a misconception of how people will react in a post/during SHTF/WROL situation doesn't there? Like most people I like my freedom such as it is and I have a fair set of morals/compass that go with normal times, but to think that people like me who will avoid trouble at least as much because they do not want to cross a legal or moral line even if being pushed in normal times, will think twice defensively when we know very well that things have changed in that scenario to the point that fighting off and escaping from an attacker would become removing the threat from the picture if I could, I think the situation highly unlikely yet as we say when it comes right down to it, me or him, I'd leave an attacker unwilling to try his luck again if he was lucky, if he wasn't, unable to try his luck again on anyone. I'll still have a moral compass way better than that of the burgling, mugging, marauderer type, but it will have to be adjusted according to the situation if that makes sense.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Plymtom wrote:There does seem to be a bit of a misconception of how people will react in a post/during SHTF/WROL situation doesn't there? Like most people I like my freedom such as it is and I have a fair set of morals/compass that go with normal times, but to think that people like me who will avoid trouble at least as much because they do not want to cross a legal or moral line even if being pushed in normal times, will think twice defensively when we know very well that things have changed in that scenario to the point that fighting off and escaping from an attacker would become removing the threat from the picture if I could, I think the situation highly unlikely yet as we say when it comes right down to it, me or him, I'd leave an attacker unwilling to try his luck again if he was lucky, if he wasn't, unable to try his luck again on anyone. I'll still have a moral compass way better than that of the burgling, mugging, marauderer type, but it will have to be adjusted according to the situation if that makes sense.
I agree with that 100%. Will do whatever to protect me and mine and heaven help the poor blighter who picks me out for a victim!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.