Checking new equipment

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Captain Darling

Re: Checking new equipment

Post by Captain Darling »

Most people I work with use jet boil, fire maple or MSR gas cooker.

Hexi is free and a great substitute telly, but takes too long, smells too bad, makes too much mess and cannot be turned off.

I carry a spare water heater from US MRE in my belt kit and jet boil in Bergen.

For civvy camping i use a trangia meths burner as I usually have some spare time, whatever that is...
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Must admit the us mre heaters do a decent job darling used two when i was on the maternity ward when Mrs Andy was having our little one ...

Since we got told off as Mrs Andy ordered the fatty extra large portion and was sharing it with me I skulked of to the car and came back with a 24 HR rat pack.. and ate like a king ;) although she snaffled my boiled sweets :o as the smell of hot yellow curry and rice and later beans and sausage filled the ward as I spoked it out the pouch I got some mucky looks of the food police nurse and looks of envy from other patents and expectant father's ;) the golden crunch biscuits ain't bad either

Oh and apparently the kettle on the ward was for mothers to make up formula not for me to get a brew on.. typhoo in a metal cup anyone ...

Bet they were glad to kick me out at 4am ;)

http://evaq8.co.uk/FLAMELESS-RATION-HEA ... -Meal.html

To use them

Tear off the top open the bag

Scrunch up meal pouch and slip down the bag to the bottom

Add water to the like like your making a pot noodle

Now the us mre's come with a cardboard box to slip the pouch into tovtrsobthe heat.it must be kept something like upright to stop the water spilling. UK mre's come with no cardboard sleeve. . Do I use a jumper to wrap round it so trapping the heat.. you can just about get a UK desert in there too to warm it atvye same time

Then wait 10 mins for it to warm up
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Brambles wrote:
Medusa wrote:I really hate the smell of hexi and the way it made my food and drink taste too. Also learned the hard way to clear the ground around the stove before lighting it. After this I moved on to my much loved Trangia, but unfortunately it will be back to hexi at the festival this year as they are only allowing solid fuel. Thought I would try a different brand of block and after reading recommendations will give Esbit a try. I did look into the gel fuel sachets but after watching lots of comparisons on You Tube it did not seem to perform as well.
You can get gel fuel in a tin the same size as a Trangia. It's not quite as quick, but quicker than hexi blocks. and lasts hours. You could use one in the Trangia stove set instead of the burner. They are about £1 so may be worth a try. Asda and Tesco sell them.
Thanks Brambles, are these chaffing gel?
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote:
Brambles wrote:
Medusa wrote:I really hate the smell of hexi and the way it made my food and drink taste too. Also learned the hard way to clear the ground around the stove before lighting it. After this I moved on to my much loved Trangia, but unfortunately it will be back to hexi at the festival this year as they are only allowing solid fuel. Thought I would try a different brand of block and after reading recommendations will give Esbit a try. I did look into the gel fuel sachets but after watching lots of comparisons on You Tube it did not seem to perform as well.
You can get gel fuel in a tin the same size as a Trangia. It's not quite as quick, but quicker than hexi blocks. and lasts hours. You could use one in the Trangia stove set instead of the burner. They are about £1 so may be worth a try. Asda and Tesco sell them.
Thanks Brambles, are these chaffing gel?

I'm guessing so just dug my cheap trangia copy out and the chaffing tins I have don't fit the hole in the windshield hole and if sat on top you can't get the pan stand to fit
IMG_20180221_195916955.jpg
Not had chance to see if it will boil water like that

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

That is odd, The tins I have are the same size as my trangia burner, so I would assume they fit the stove set. :roll: Are they too tall?

I use mine in a Sterno stove.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Yes

Too tall to stand over the hole

Too low and not much heat gets to the pan :)