USB PC operating system

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Posts: 2987
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

USB PC operating system

Postby Yorkshire Andy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Well this is been typed on Puppy on my old netbook with a dead hard drive.,,,, No hard drive running (its on the floor next to me)

its a free bit of software (well operating system) which was mounted on a old small usb stick) Based on lynux

so once downloaded and installed on the stick i can use it to run old computers which have windows issues or dead hard drives....

everyday use computer messes up and you need to get onto online banking to pay a bill / check emails etc


ive used it in the past (with permission) to run it on a computer which was passworded in windows and no one could access the computer as the apprentice thought he was been clever creating himself a log in on a unlocked machine and "EVERYTHING WAS LOST"



http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

User avatar
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am
Location: East Midlands

Re: USB PC opperating system

Postby pseudonym » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Good to know. :)
Phallus Wimbledonus

Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Re: USB PC operating system

Postby Haggis2013 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Another great piece of software is hiren's boot CD. A bit complicated to get it onto a USB drive but includes a scaled down copy of Windows XP that can boot from the USB and a huge amount of freeware diagnostic and utility software.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

User avatar
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: USB PC operating system

Postby JBird » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Haggis2013 wrote:Another great piece of software is hiren's boot CD. A bit complicated to get it onto a USB drive but includes a scaled down copy of Windows XP that can boot from the USB and a huge amount of freeware diagnostic and utility software.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/


+1 for Hiren's, I've used it a few times in the past. Very handy!

Online
User avatar
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am
Location: Land of the South Saxons

Re: USB PC operating system

Postby korolev » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 pm

I've used UBCD in the past to recover windows machines (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html).
I always stress the importance of having a backup when I fix PCs but a mate of mine still manages to break his laptop about once a year; the last time he dropped it off a stepladder.

Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:49 am

Re: USB PC operating system

Postby sniper 55 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm

korolev wrote:I've used UBCD in the past to recover windows machines (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html).
I always stress the importance of having a backup when I fix PCs but a mate of mine still manages to break his laptop about once a year; the last time he dropped it off a stepladder.

How on earth did he manage that??? :o

Online
User avatar
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am
Location: Land of the South Saxons

Re: USB PC operating system

Postby korolev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm

sniper 55 wrote:
korolev wrote:I've used UBCD in the past to recover windows machines (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html).
I always stress the importance of having a backup when I fix PCs but a mate of mine still manages to break his laptop about once a year; the last time he dropped it off a stepladder.

How on earth did he manage that??? :o


His router is on a high shelf and he lost the wifi password, you can guess the rest.

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest