Mosquito head net

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

Re: Mosquito head net

Post by ForgeCorvus »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
jansman wrote:Mrs J says I should drink gin and tonic like the old Raj.I hate gin.They obviously like bitter and red wine!
No probs J! The memsahib is only partly correct. It's not the gin it's the quinine in the tonic that does the trick! Not sure it actually stops them from biting but it does help with the malaria afterwards! :D
Taking Quinine (prescribed) already..... Lets see if the LFB*'s lose interest in me (they only started chowing down on me a year or two back )

*Little Flying Bleeders :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Modern tonic doesn't have quinine in it.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

sniper 55 wrote:Modern tonic doesn't have quinine in it.
Schweppes disagree with you there, however it doesn't have enough in it to treat malaria, that's a good thing really, enough quinine to treat malaria has some pretty nasty side effects.
The mossies don't care anyway, they don't know they're carrying malaria (in the UK they're obviously unlikely to be carrying it,) and they'll still bite you.
I don't react too badly to mossie bites as it goes, but I find that a good bit of deet, reapplied often stops them from biting too much, and if I'm static then I light up a mossie coil and that helps to keep them at bay, works ok for those swarms of Scottish midges too, but doesn't do much for horseflies, if there's one creature that I would say doesn't deserve a place on earth it would be those!
Loads of people swear by the Avon stuff, I'm going to give it a go when I run out of deet, it can't smell any worse!

They mostly get me when I'm shooting pigeons from a hide, so covering up helps with those and with camouflage.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think I will try the Avon stuff too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I stand corrected. I know it now has a lot less than it used to.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Jamesey1981 wrote:The mossies don't care anyway, they don't know they're carrying malaria (in the UK they're obviously unlikely to be carrying it,) and they'll still bite you.
Apparently we do have the variety that can carry malaria, it's just that they currently don't. I figure it's only a matter of time and then it's sayonara ukpreppergrrl as I will undoubtedly be amongst the first casualties and thus make the news. I'll be the one wrapped from head to toe in mosquito netting, surrounded by empty Avon bottles, with a visible cloud of repellent rising from my lifeless body, and high-pitched squeal coming out of the 150watt loudspeaker slung around my neck, and yet who still got bitten! :roll:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb