Mosquito head net

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Mosquito head net

Post by sniper 55 »

I'm a long suffering victim of horsefly muggings, the little b*****d's love me, and I hate them. Seriously I've been out with 3 mates and I'm covered in them and my 3 mates are falling about laughing at be shouting "gerrofyouf-ingsblighters" Anyway I bought myself a mossie headnet and tried it out on Pen-y-fan today. Good job I did the top was covered in miges and loads of the dreaded horse flies on the way up and down.
I looked a bit odd but I haven't got any bites... unlike my son who laughed at me, he's covered in bites.
Well worth a couple of quid off fleabay.
Jamesey1981

Re: Mosquito head net

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have one that I got from mountain warehouse for a couple of quid on their Black Friday sale.
Handy thing to have, can even use it for other things, like leaching the tannins out of acorns.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Oh good call!! My blood appears to be ambrosia to small biting insects (looked like I'd been attacked by a psychotic hole punch when I returned from Finland! :shock: ) and am heading off to West Scotland shortly where I am sure the local midge are already plastering posters advertising the new party keg coming to town. Does one need to wear a hat underneath?
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Get some Avon Skin so soft moisturizer
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Get some Avon Skin so soft moisturizer
Yep, that's the stuff of legend. Even the Marines use it. :D

http://www.scotsman.com/news/avon-s-spr ... -1-1403152
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

I might just do that after fishing on the river yesterday.I have three mossie bites and I watched ,WATCHED! The horsefly sting my shoulder! What my shoulder looks like defies description. Mrs J says I should drink gin and tonic like the old Raj.I hate gin.They obviously like bitter and red wine!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm not sure how it works, while I wasn't immune when in my teens/20's I didn't seem to get bitten as bad as a lot of mates. Roll on a year or 20 and even with an onion and garlic rich diet I seem to be flavour of the month. Apparently the mild winter has made it midgietastic Ukpreppergrrl.

On the skin so soft front, the last time I used it it didn't seem to work as well although it was quite an old bottle so maybe an active ingredient had weakened. Have historically sworn by it.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I shall try that, I used to use the good old fashoned deet, although the horseflys seem more concerned about my blood than the deet.
Trouble is that stuff used to melt most plastics, and I've usually got some really expensive plastic kit with me I don't want melted.
Thanks for the replies everybody.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Been there, tried it, if anything it made more more attractive as now I smelled nice! I've worn repellents that have my eyes watering and the foliage around me wilting and I've still been bitten - I reacted so badly, in fact, that the doctor asked me where I'd been to get such a bite! Essex was the reply :shock: The only thing I've found that works with mosquitos is a high pitched whiny thing a friend picked up for me in Texas. I believe it represents the noise a horny male mosquito makes and the female mosquitos, who are the only ones that bite, go off searching for some hanky panky rather than tucking into me. However I suspect that on midges it would be the equivalent of expecting the sound of a a moose in heat to interest a gorilla, and it isn't going to make a Scottish midge waver in its plan to party on down at my expense!

Midge head net ordered, and some Smidge just in case!!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote:Mrs J says I should drink gin and tonic like the old Raj.I hate gin.They obviously like bitter and red wine!
No probs J! The memsahib is only partly correct. It's not the gin it's the quinine in the tonic that does the trick! Not sure it actually stops them from biting but it does help with the malaria afterwards! :D