Small Solar Panels

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
moggins

Small Solar Panels

Post by moggins »

Aldi currently have solar panels in for £29.99. They have some pretty handy tools in too.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Small Solar Panels

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Reading the reviews it appears that it only produces 3 to 6 watts no good for charging a battery it's intended to prevent a battery in storage from going flat
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
oldman

Post by oldman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Reading the reviews it appears that it only produces 3 to 6 watts no good for charging a battery it's intended to prevent a battery in storage from going flat
You could use ten of them and get 30 to 60 watts ... it gets a bit expensive though.

Oldman
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

oldman wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Reading the reviews it appears that it only produces 3 to 6 watts no good for charging a battery it's intended to prevent a battery in storage from going flat
You could use ten of them and get 30 to 60 watts ... it gets a bit expensive though.

Oldman

Or you could buy one of these and save a small fortune. :twisted:

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/cat ... clips.html
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

There are plenty portable options too, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're planning on having it semi permanently set up something like Brambles option is ideal, if you want something you can take away in a rucksack there are also panels, not as effective as the more substantial/permanent ones but give you options. A very quick look on Amazon has shown up this although there are plenty of options, it depends on what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-UK-RP ... lar+panels

We've had a few threads on this stuff, have a rummage and see if anything inspires you. My plan for this year is to set up a semi permanent rig like Andy and Brambles have suggested for my shed, being a lazy so and so and having a football team to follow has eaten into my prepping finances a bit this year but still the plan. Let us know what you fancy, I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions, free lecky is the way ahead. :D
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

I usually find things are cheap for a reason, not knocking Aldi stuff like, but you have to look around to make sure that cheaper really is better. Have not bought from them myself, but have checked them out with the power of google, as the technical god of this site, Yorkshire Andy has already posted threads and info on the subject, i have found that the solar experts of Photonic universe seem to be the best around for solar charging kits and most things solar related.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

My experience is that a 6w panel won't even maintain a lead acid battery indefinitely, although it may slow down discharge. If it was 10w I may be tempted for £30, but it just doesn't look like it will do the job. Also, one of the reviews says that it won't tolerate rain which renders it pretty much useless in the UK.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I have had one of those caravan top up types sitting in my tourer for a few years now. While it has stopped my batteries from dying completely I wouldnt recommend spending more than a tenner on one. Even then I have some pretty good mains battery chargers and re-conditioners that are needed to keep such batteries viable.

I started off using it in a Discovery with blasted electronic fuel management that had a starting problem that none of us could find or fix in an attempt to keep the battery up to charge for the long, arduous starting process. It was useless. In that case anyway. I opted for a hard wired trickle charger instead.

As ever, Andy has hit the nail on the elusive head.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***