Maps 1:50 or 1:25 scale

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ChefSimon

Maps 1:50 or 1:25 scale

Post by ChefSimon »

I recently updated my maps for my local areas, my old ones were well out of date. Being the stupid click first think later person when it comes to all things computer I accidentally ordered one of the maps in 1:25 instead of 1:50 scale.

With previous military experience and the greater ground covered I've always used 1:50 scale. However for my immediate area I do like the 1:25 clarity for detail.

With this in mind what are all of your thoughts on your preferred scale when using maps? (Pros and cons) I'm interested in understanding what people use and why.

Oh as a side note, OS maps now come with free digital versions as well which you can access via an app.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
sethorly

Re: Maps 1:50 or 1:25 scale

Post by sethorly »

1:25,000. I find it easier to take bearings and I like to know exactly where I am and what's around me.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

For me I use 1.19 map book for close to home, countrywide I use a handy AZ map book. Both have sufficient detail for my needs as I'm not likely to be yomping across the country.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

I strongly prefer the 1:25000, they can have a lot more detail about bogs, paths etc. It can mean buying a few where before one would do, but if I plan to revisit the area it is usually worth it.

As a negative, I'm still not used to the scale, so what I think is a days walk often takes only a few hours. Not always a bad thing I reckon.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Agree with Jan Smits. The 25 contains far more detail, including spring locations
Knowledge is power
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

I have electronic copies of 50k and 25k maps for the whole of the uk. Though my first source for maps when out walking is Open Cycle Maps. The Open Cycle Maps are free and pretty good for navigation on foot.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

What are a good source of hard copy (non electronic) maps? I currently have a Road map of the areas I need to cover (Hampshire, Dorset and Wilshire), but this has a scale of 2.8 miles to 1 inch (1.7km to 1cm). I would prefer something more useable for country walking, but without being too big, bulky or heavy?

The opencyclemap has great detail, but is only online - and all the maps in my local book shop seem to be road maps.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

https://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-m ... 7QodKSILEw

I got my load of maps from here. Great service. They're the OS maps, but cheaper than at the OS shop. You can order the normal ones (paper) or the Active ones (5 quid more expensive but laminated). I highly recommend the Active ones - last a lifetime.
Last edited by sethorly on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jaffab wrote:What are a good source of hard copy (non electronic) maps? I currently have a Road map of the areas I need to cover (Hampshire, Dorset and Wilshire), but this has a scale of 2.8 miles to 1 inch (1.7km to 1cm). I would prefer something more useable for country walking, but without being too big, bulky or heavy?

The opencyclemap has great detail, but is only online - and all the maps in my local book shop seem to be road maps.
GST* https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/? ... term=brand

Or try your local outdoors/walking shops, they tend to only have the common places to visit though

*Go To Source
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

ForgeCorvus wrote: The opencyclemap has great detail, but is only online - and all the maps in my local book shop seem to be road maps.
GST* https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/? ... term=brand

Or try your local outdoors/walking shops, they tend to only have the common places to visit though
[/quote]

Hmmm- I figure I would need 12 or 13 maps for my needs - that quote a lot of maps to pack in terms of weight and bulk. Of course to download them would need a device (phone), and portable power etc which then adds to weight, and risk that in loss of power/water damage/drop there go all the maps (hence why I wanted hard copy.

The closest to a walking shop I have around ,my neck of the woods is Go Outdoors, and they were pretty hopeless.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)