Just Tents

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
surreyprepper

Re: Just Tents

Post by surreyprepper »

Hey Devonian, how are those oz tents? I'm looking at getting an rv3 oztent I like the baker style. If anyone has one I'd be greatfull for any reviews or advice.
munchh

Post by munchh »

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/1569 ... -tent.html

millets are doing the Vango sierra 300 for £75 down from £130!

Bloody bargin, its a true freestanding 3 man tent with a porch, none of which needs pegging, so you can put it up on a flat roof if you needed to. Im so close to ordering in, but my car needs fixing :cry:
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Over to the experts - is this tent as good as the reviews?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multitarn-Camo ... B00ELE98JU

I am after something light and Exmoor-proof!

Thanks.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Mr R wrote:Over to the experts - is this tent as good as the reviews?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multitarn-Camo ... B00ELE98JU

I am after something light and Exmoor-proof!

Thanks.
I bought one of those but one-man is too small for me. If you want to keep your large rucksack out of the weather there won't be enough room. I replaced mine with a Vango Sierra 200
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Just added a Vango Halo 300 to My tent-age, hoping to get out with the boys for a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7d34Zn75l8
Last edited by Hamradioop on Sat May 07, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'd not noticed this thread before, I'm quite enjoying it, I like tents.
If I'm camping or hiking on my own or with my mates I tend to use a combination of a DD tarp and an outdoor research helium bivi, I can't sleep in hammocks as I have a thing where I can stop breathing if I sleep on my back so a tarp and bivy is the most comfortable and versatile setup for me, I do like the little one man hikers tents though and may buy one one day, thanks to this thread I'm now looking out for a Lavvu....
My go to tent for camping on a campsite with the Mrs and when I don't have to physically carry it is a gelert Ottawa 4, great tent that one, loads of room, plenty of ventilation and light and you can stand up in it, also not too bad to pitch. Bought that one from the gelert headquarters type place in north Wales brand new years ago, mine is blue and green, they're grey now, it had been stock from a trade show so they sold it as used for 75 quid although it had clearly been packed in a factory and hadn't been out of the bag, well worth visiting that place if you're in the area.
Also have an absolutely monstrous multi dome thing, forget what make it is (think it's another gelert) but it's one of the ones with the huge central dome and the bedrooms coming off it, that one was definitely the right price, was left outside someone's house with a note that said "Free tent, used once, please take" stuck to it!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I do like a tent! I was brought up from the tender age of 6 weeks old camping and caravanning and so sleeping under canvas is something I have always enjoyed. I have the Vango Ark DS 200 and 300 for festivals and solo camping as there is no way I would trust one of those flimsy pop up numbers that lots of people seem to take to festivals and never bring home again. For holidays with my SO we have a Coleman Galileo 5 plus the front extension which is huge for just the two of us. Obviously not a bug out type tent. I currently have my eye on a Snugpak Scorpion 3 and am trying to get rid of a few bits and pieces surplus to requirement so that I can order this before the end of summer.
Growing old disgracefully!
munchh

Post by munchh »

Ive spent the last few days sorting all my bushcraft/camping stuff, it turns out i currently have 13! hahahaha. :P
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

munchh wrote:Ive spent the last few days sorting all my bushcraft/camping stuff, it turns out i currently have 13! hahahaha. :P
No need for concern yet then ;)
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
munchh

Post by munchh »

OOPS! 14 :lol:

VANGO CHINOOK 200

I'm really impressed with the build quality, ripstop, aluminium poles, considering it had been set up on display for months, its still very solid, just a bit faded.

I wasnt looking for one but as it stands up on its own as i like them and it was only £30, a little beaten up, but its a £200 tent!
AREA 3