Slingbow or Crossbow

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
kernewek

Re: Slingbow or Crossbow

Post by kernewek »

I've never used a crossbow but I wonder how many spares and bolts you'd have to carry around? Can't imagine each time you use one of the latter you end up pulling it out of a tree in perfect condition like in the movies. Wouldn't mind trying one out some day though. Personally, I've got an air rifle (relatively simple mechanism + ammo small enough to carry large amounts) and a slingshot (small + as long as there's stones there's ammo).
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

I have both, and they both have a place as part of my prepps:

Crossbow - usefull in a well established location / BUG IN
Slingbow - great for bugging out - small lightweight and effective

in favour of the slingbow, here are two pros:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIcCRJGYug

http://www.extremedefensenow.com/index-home.html

The second one looks a bit 'southern comfort'.
Darktide

Post by Darktide »

Unless your experienced at stalking then neither would be effective in a shtf scenario. Also, what type of shtf scenario do you envisage? This forum seems to be getting worse in terms of people who think we'll all be riding around mad max stylie and 'hunting' for food. Do you know how to to skin and gut what you've shot, how to prepare it for storage? Threads like this are just delusional
Smudge

Re:

Post by Smudge »

Darktide wrote:Unless your experienced at stalking then neither would be effective in a shtf scenario. Also, what type of shtf scenario do you envisage? This forum seems to be getting worse in terms of people who think we'll all be riding around mad max stylie and 'hunting' for food. Do you know how to to skin and gut what you've shot, how to prepare it for storage? Threads like this are just delusional

I don't know about madmax but here are any number of scenarios where taking a cheeky squirrel or snagging a bunny for the pot would be a good way of filling your belly, having been in the position once where I wish I'd known how............. it doesn't have to be a dramatic shtf event.

Opinions vary.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Devonian

Re: Re:

Post by Devonian »

Darktide wrote:Unless your experienced at stalking then neither would be effective in a shtf scenario. Also, what type of shtf scenario do you envisage? This forum seems to be getting worse in terms of people who think we'll all be riding around mad max stylie and 'hunting' for food. Do you know how to to skin and gut what you've shot, how to prepare it for storage? Threads like this are just delusional
Totally agree, I don't normally bother engaging in these discussions and find them somewhat comical.
Smudge wrote:I don't know about madmax but here are any number of scenarios where taking a cheeky squirrel or snagging a bunny for the pot would be a good way of filling your belly, having been in the position once where I wish I'd known how............. it doesn't have to be a dramatic shtf event.

Opinions vary.
A squirrel or a bunny for the pot, yes of course (if there any left!!), but certainly not with a sling bow.
Darktide

Post by Darktide »

An airgun is the thing to use, and you need to have have land or somewhere with permission to use it. If you don't develop a skill, how would you ever expect to use it in a 'shtf' scenario, however real you may think that will be?
socks90

Post by socks90 »

I've got a crossbow for back garden target practice and although as people have stated they're slow at reloading. . in a shtf situation who reaaallly wants to get in the way of one of them? (presuming you're using it to defend yourself) and it didnt take me long to hit a small area of about 3x3inches as a constant from about 40ft, maybe more, through the iron sights (once figured them out a bit) so maybe for a bit of game hunting it would be useful, but I've got an air rifle too and I can hit a peg from the same distance with iron sights (I can't get the hang of my scope) ... so for shtf I can say a bow would be the way to go. have a look on bladesandbows dot com at the armex lot.
Area 2/3
featherstick

Re:

Post by featherstick »

Thank you. I'd like to add that bow hunting is illegal in the UK and so mods should be jumping on these discussions. Now can we get back to discussing preps for far more likely events? For example redundancy, chronic illness, house fire, getting stuck at the side of the road, and how we prepare for the Long Descent we have started. It's fun to fantasize, but not when it excludes real life.

And anyway, I'd take a longbow any time.
IfInDoubt

Re: Re:

Post by IfInDoubt »

featherstick wrote:
Thank you. I'd like to add that bow hunting is illegal in the UK and so mods should be jumping on these discussions. Now can we get back to discussing preps for far more likely events? For example redundancy, chronic illness, house fire, getting stuck at the side of the road, and how we prepare for the Long Descent we have started. It's fun to fantasize, but not when it excludes real life.

And anyway, I'd take a longbow any time.

I agree, surely 'breaking down at the side of the road' is the kind of prepping we should be discussing on this forum (although not redundancy or chronic illness (start a thread on losing your job and see how many replies you get))

I cannot realistically envisage any scenario in this country where I would need a crossbow (although if my boss made me redundant maybe it could come in handy) a fishing rod maybe.

Personally one of the reason I like this site is that it is 180degrees from most US sites where Prepping = Bugging out with Gucci firearms and thousands of rounds of ammo, hopefully it will stay that way. Get Home and Bug in FTW(unless there is room at the local hotel)
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

One of the many good reasons for partaking in these threads is to present the more British way of prepping, which is far more practical on the whole, the original poster has often gone before page two in any case :lol: Archery + Shooting are good family fun and do have a purpose, in times of hardship ( with permission) food can be put on the table, Not with Arrows obviously ;)
I am quite happy to talk about Archery and Shooting in all it's forms and promote it as legitimate family activity as it is in this country, whilst pointing out that this is not America we have neither the need nor the desire to adopt the attitude to self defense nor weapons as they do, neither do we have the space to bug out in such abundance, chronic illness has hit my family constantly and effecting the children as it's genetic as they have/are growing up too for the past 20 years, we do not really remember life without S constantly hitting the fan.

I do agree and also hope that large scale SHFT events are unlikely, but most skills especially old ones like Archery and all the pre industrial revolution skills are something we should hang on to, learn and teach, Bushcraft, and Gardening along with Preserving food the old way, thankfully are being revived and embraced by preppers, these days it is worth noting the value of shooting in this country, and because of the illegality of hunting with Arrows, then Air rifles are the minimum entry point for hunting and to some as big a part of their everyday prepping kit as wood collecting and processing kit is.

I know this is a bit of a ramble but I fear making these discussions unfashionable, we stop doing our bit to educate folk and make matters worse in terms of idiots making it up for themselves like the one who took a crossbow into the local public woods and tried to take a deer with a head shot, or the teens and slightly older young folk who keep using air weapons on one another ( I'm sure our local newspaper isn't the only one that makes a sensational story out of every case) for those who want to skirmish there are clubs for paintball and airsoft, as there are for Archery and Target/clay shooting, it is good to let folk who have a desire to equip themselves with Archery gear and the other things know, that there are facilities to enjoy the hobby, then that way hopefully we can all go down to the woods for a picnic in comparative safety :D
Last edited by Plymtom on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.