The most over looked piece of kit

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Decaff

Re: The most over looked piece of kit

Post by Decaff »

FEISTY wrote:Sigh - I can only dream! If you google, say, Tiso and look for boots size 33 (1 1/2) it will come up with an extensive list of one - Kids All Terrain Texapore Boot. I can cope with the grey (don't even worry about whether or not it's actually waterproof or even comfortable), but I draw the line at yellow detail on a hiking boot and I definitely don't want natty little yellow pawprints! There's no "crying in frustration" "smiley" or I would add one here. :(

Too true!! You kind of don't want shoes with lights in the heels or butterflies/barbie on them!! I ended up getting mine in Decathlon as they do them for us weeny feet women in the kids section!! I too struggle with shoes and there are not many places that sell grown up shoes in small sizes :evil: I'm a size 3 to 3.5 if I want thick socks on.

Just looked at Tiso site and I can have pink boots with pompoms on!?! Grrrr!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I tend to fit womens boots better than mens ... got some berghouse a good few years ago and the womans boot fitted me much better... just because boots are gendered try both and dont be shy... although these berghouse ones are dark blue rather than pink :lol:

i also have some matterhorn combat boots and lowa patrol Gone off Merrell walking shoes the buggers keep splitting which is what lots of reviews seem to say too :( shame because the fit me well but £100 for goretex shoes that have the outers split at the sole joint within 6 months is not funny
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

FEISTY wrote:Sigh - I can only dream! If you google, say, Tiso and look for boots size 33 (1 1/2) it will come up with an extensive list of one - Kids All Terrain Texapore Boot. I can cope with the grey (don't even worry about whether or not it's actually waterproof or even comfortable), but I draw the line at yellow detail on a hiking boot and I definitely don't want natty little yellow pawprints! There's no "crying in frustration" "smiley" or I would add one here. :(
I feel your pain Feisty! I'm a 4.5. Whilst I can find ladies boots in this size they generally are of far less good quality than men's boots, usually falling apart in a year. I once bought some Timberland boots, being assured that people (to be precise "men") were still wearing them 20 years on. Mine (ladies boots, only available in pale blue or pink :shock:) lasted just one month before breaking down! I took them back and raised hell! I can get kiddies boots in this size, which is great because there's no VAT ;) , but a) they either have lots of pink or Power Rangers type of adornment; b) they're designed to be worn by bodies which weigh rather less than I do, and therefore they also tend to wear out quickly. Men's boots used to start at size 5, but now it's hard to get them smaller than size 7. I managed to get a pair of men's Brasher boots in size 5 about 15 years ago and these are still going strong! The quality of "ladies" boots is really shocking - they invariably have some kind of pink adornment, and are very often much narrower, which in heeled court shoes may be fine, but in hiking boots it's a recipe for disaster! It has improved quality-wise, but there's still the pinkifiaction factor...

I've asked other women what they do with regard to hiking or safety boots, and the response is usually a shrug and "I wear men's" and occasionally a glare, waving of hands and "Don't get me started....!!" It's a nightmare!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
I feel your pain Feisty! I'm a 4.5. Whilst I can find ladies boots in this size they generally are of far less good quality than men's boots, usually falling apart in a year. I once bought some Timberland boots, being assured that people (to be precise "men") were still wearing them 20 years on. Mine (ladies boots, only available in pale blue or pink :shock:) lasted just one month before breaking down! I took them back and raised hell! I can get kiddies boots in this size, which is great because there's no VAT ;) , but a) they either have lots of pink or Power Rangers type of adornment; b) they're designed to be worn by bodies which weigh rather less than I do, and therefore they also tend to wear out quickly. Men's boots used to start at size 5, but now it's hard to get them smaller than size 7. I managed to get a pair of men's Brasher boots in size 5 about 15 years ago and these are still going strong! The quality of "ladies" boots is really shocking - they invariably have some kind of pink adornment, and are very often much narrower, which in heeled court shoes may be fine, but in hiking boots it's a recipe for disaster! It has improved quality-wise, but there's still the pinkifiaction factor...

I've asked other women what they do with regard to hiking or safety boots, and the response is usually a shrug and "I wear men's" and occasionally a glare, waving of hands and "Don't get me started....!!" It's a nightmare!
try German army Paraboots you can get them as surplus or new i used them for ages and they come in all sizes due to there conscription they have sizes for woman too :D they wear very well being army boots and have great ankle support due to them being used for para jumps
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'll add to Waffle's post:
Take a look at the British BCH, they to should come in all sizes (and three width fittings) as they were issued to all branches (including the Wrens etc) ..... They're also rugged and hardwearing as hell (it takes me a couple of years of daily use to wear the tread out) and can be cheaper then dirty water if you just want a rough pair.
Other suppliers are available
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Error 404
Last edited by Smudge on Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

ForgeCorvus wrote:I'll add to Waffle's post:
Take a look at the British BCH, they to should come in all sizes (and three width fittings) as they were issued to all branches (including the Wrens etc) ..... They're also rugged and hardwearing as hell (it takes me a couple of years of daily use to wear the tread out) and can be cheaper then dirty water if you just want a rough pair.

Ooh, ooh! A couple of years to wear tread out! :o When I was regularly walking to and from work I would wear out the tread of my "we're ladies shoes" within 6 months (one month with the aforementioned Timberlands!). I came to the conclusion that women were clearly only meant to walk from the front door to the car, and then only when it wasn't raining! Many thanks for the heads up ForgeCorvus and Waffle!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Just to be clear, two years is based on roughly this usage:
Commuting 5 days a week @ three miles a day (total foot distance)
Plus
Standing and walking on concrete and asphalt for 7 hours as well as driving the folklift (which wears the left boot more)
Less three weeks holiday

Evenings and weekends I'm either barefoot, in my garden pair or wearing my 'Best' ones

[/nerd mode]
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar