Choosing a compound or recurve bow

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
SkyWatcher

Choosing a compound or recurve bow

Post by SkyWatcher »

I'm rather hoping someone can help guide me on this. I'm looking at buying my first bow and was wondering which would be the better one to get, recurve or compound? Had a shot of a recurve at a local gala and was told I was a natural, so naturally it has piqued my interest, although it's always something that interested me. Initially, yes it will be for targets and yes I know hunting with a bow is illegal here but when the SHTF, I want to be able to feed my family any way I can and probably most people with a bow will be out there doing the same anyway! But which is best? :?:

Oh, and don't want to spend a fortune either seeing as it's my first! lol
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
Plymtom

Re: Choosing a compound or recurve bow

Post by Plymtom »

You're a natural eh, that in itself says get something similar to that which you were a natural with as it's a very tactile thing even more so with instinctive archery, it's a personal thing and trying before you buy would help, I know that doesn't help much as most places sell them all packaged up in such a way that having a feel is not easy.
On the hunting subject it's been said before, hunt with a camera, perhaps even on a stick :lol: if you cannot go and do it legally with a firearm, catapult, (air guns, shotguns etc) or do not even want to, you still need long before the event to know how to in such a practical way, getting close enough to take that shot is crucial, I've seen a target which has rabbits on it A4 size paper with many Rabbits scaled down so as you can shoot at what represents something much further away, ( this is ideal if you do not have the practice space to put a life size target at the further distances) once you understand how hard it is to hit something at a distance , then become able to get close enough to do it, you have a chance, having the tool, even being a good shot, is simply not enough to feed your self and family, you have to get close enough and know where to look, the same sort of thing goes for fishing, experience is king, otherwise it's like finding an honest politician.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

Great to hear your interest in archery but can I offer some advice join an archery club and borrow a selection of their bows to start with. This will give you the chance to try both plus you will get a good idea of the size and draw weight that suit you and be able to teach you how to shoot propperly.

If planning to use it post shtf you would need a good supply of arrows plus spare parts and equipment to repair your arrows and make new bow strings they dont last forever
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
strive2survive

Post by strive2survive »

A very interesting topic , I agree with the above comment about joining an archery club and trying the 2 types yourself remember it is mostly about how you feel comfortable , I use a traditional recurve bow and a recurve crossbow as there are less things that could go wrong with them but it's all personal preference , good luck with your choice and remember when shtf stick with a bow man ;)
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

As you have specifically mentioned that part of the reason is to have the bow to help procure food after any "potential" SHTF event, then I would recommend that you stick with a Recurve bow and avoid Compound bows purely for the simplicity and lower risk of parts failing/breaking on a Recurve bow when compared with the more complex compound bows which could easily render them useless.....
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

Thanks guys, lot of valid points there, enough to give me something to think about anyway! Realistically a recurve would be the best choice in a shtf scenario. However, my missus is quite petite so I wonder if a compound would be more suited to her build. Oh and does anyone know if a 25lb draw would be enough for small game or would a 55lb bow be more suited for this?
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
strive2survive

Post by strive2survive »

SkyWatcher wrote:Thanks guys, lot of valid points there, enough to give me something to think about anyway! Realistically a recurve would be the best choice in a shtf scenario. However, my missus is quite petite so I wonder if a compound would be more suited to her build. Oh and does anyone know if a 25lb draw would be enough for small game or would a 55lb bow be more suited for this?
25lbs would be fine for squirrel rabbits and things of that sort of size but anything bigger I.e deer and things go with a 55 lbs
But if it were my partner (petite also)
Get her a sturdy 25 lbs bow and see how she gets on with it
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

You really need to go to a Archery shop and try lots of different bows, i have a compound, 60lb draw weight, ok for me, but not the missus. Your missus may on the other hand be better with a compound, because of the 'let off' that a compound has, it makes holding the bow at full draw a hell of a lot easier, most let off around 65% of the total draw weight. As i said, got to a dedicated archery shop and just try bows out, the staff will want you to get the right bow with the right draw weight.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

strive2survive wrote: But if it were my partner (petite also)
:lol: We both had a little chuckle there!

All I can say is thank you to everyone, it's given us lots to think about and a visit to a shop is now definitely on the cards :)
Area 11

Crossbow

Post by Crossbow »

I have a range of bows. Beginer id say compound, just because it gives you the exact draw back each time. Just my opinion tho