Lightweight Sleeping Bags

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Winklebury

Re: Lightweight Sleeping Bags

Post by Winklebury »

The Mountain Hardware - Lamina 35 sleeping bag is great.

It does cost around 100 pounds, and weighs in at 1,080 grams. But it is rated to a lower comfort temperature of 35 F or 1 degree C.

I have one, and a Lamina 20 (-7 oC) which weights 1,400 grams. These really are the kings of the synthetic (best all-round material) sleeping bags.

If you really want it as light at 500 grams, there are one or two ultra light weight down bags available, but these cost a lot, circa 150-200, don't last as long, are much harder to clean, take ages to dry out, and do not keep you warm when wet.

Hope this helps!
Winklebury

Post by Winklebury »

N.B. Mountain Hardware were doing a Lamina 45 for a while. 710grams, lower comfort level of 7oC. For me its not warm enough, but it is only 710grams!

Link to the sleeping bag:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/lamina- ... U8506.html

Cotswold sold them briefly, but they didn't catch on, people really wanted something warmer....
Sirmattyb

Post by Sirmattyb »

Cheers guys for the input think im gonna go for the down filled Vango venom 200 0.65 kilo and 84.99 each seem like a good deal will let you know what they are like....
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

removed by Mod.

Please refrain from personal attacks on this Forum.

There is a report button and PMs are available to contact a Moderator.

Many thanks.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Darktide

Lightweight Sleeping Bags

Post by Darktide »

If you want to save on weight and bulk I wouldn't buy a sleeping bag. I use a golite ultra 20 down quilt, when you lay in a sleeping bag you don't benefit from the insulation underneath as it's compressed so it's just extra bulk you don't need.
Down quilts aren't cheap but I think when it comes to sleep comfort, it's one area you can't afford to scrimp on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

SimonH wrote:
Smudge wrote:A couple of years ago we bought a couple of bags on sale at Tesco's online for the kids to use on our camping trips and was surprised at the quality, looking at OP's requirements and after reading the reviews : http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-micro ... d=204-2384
I have a couple of these and they are very good - I've only ever used it indoors and they are fine, I would have no problems using them camping in late spring, summer and early autumn. I keep one in the car during winter just in case I am ever stranded, but I think I would still be a bit cold. They are nice and small and the compression bag works reasonably well and for the price bloomi' fantastic.
If you're worried about cold, as rik_uk3 said the bivvi bags will add a season but so will the liners, tesco used to do a fleece liner as well (again we bought on sale) but they weren't/shouldn't be too expensive.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.